ArcEmu: [App Release] Ascent Console Announcer by Twist3d (serverwide autoannouncer) - ArcEmu

Toggle shoutbox Lastest Announcements

dfighter  : (07 December 2014 - 12:06 PM) Arcemu is in hibernation mode, please read http://arcemu.org/fo...showtopic=26903
dfighter  : (01 January 2013 - 05:56 PM) Arcemu wishes you all a happy new year!
Hasbro  : (12 September 2012 - 10:01 AM) Please excuse our outage from the web! Our web host had a major malfunction!
dfighter  : (01 September 2012 - 04:05 PM) Since the spam bots just don't want to stop, I've enabled admin verification when registering.
dfighter  : (23 January 2012 - 09:56 PM) Please note that from now on you will need to confirm your email on the wiki in order to edit it!
Hasbro  : (31 December 2011 - 12:50 PM) Happy New Years all!
Navid  : (26 December 2011 - 04:09 AM) Merry Christmas !!!!!! Happy holidays all :)
WAmadeus  : (24 December 2011 - 03:54 PM) Merry Christmas to all!
dfighter  : (24 December 2011 - 11:05 AM) The Arcemu team wishes y'all a Merry Christmukkah!
Hasbro  : (05 October 2011 - 12:53 PM) Looking for web designers for upcoming web related project. If you're interested in designing user interfaces contact me
dfighter  : (02 September 2011 - 03:47 PM) So who here wants vehicles in Arcemu? :P http://arcemu.org/fo...showtopic=25440
Hasbro  : (14 August 2011 - 03:25 PM) Join us on irc, grab an irc client and connect to irc.freenode.net join channel #arcemu /server irc.freenode.net:6667 /join #arcemu
jackpoz  : (03 August 2011 - 05:33 AM) to all Lua Engine (old one) users: please check http://arcemu.org/fo...showtopic=25274
Hasbro  : (20 May 2011 - 05:27 PM) Looking for people experienced with CMake configuration and setup! Contact me asap
Hasbro  : (15 May 2011 - 05:03 PM) ArcEmu is recruiting C++ programmers, contact Hasbro if interested.
paroxysm  : (03 May 2011 - 06:26 PM) Updated luabridge gossip example to describe the whole gossip creation process rather than just how to create menu. Gossip tutorial
paroxysm  : (23 April 2011 - 11:35 AM) Lua writers can refer to the Luabridge Tutorials section in the Wiki to learn how to write gossip code correctly.
Hasbro  : (20 April 2011 - 05:22 PM) Thank you for your continuous contribution of bug reports, we are working on them.
Hasbro  : (17 April 2011 - 03:20 AM) Please consider donating to support our bills. Donations can be sent using PayPal to donations@arcemu.org - Thank you for your support.
paroxysm  : (10 April 2011 - 12:43 AM) Refer to the Luabridge Tutorials section in the Wiki to learn the new syntax of luabridge.
Resize Shouts Area

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[App Release] Ascent Console Announcer by Twist3d (serverwide autoannouncer) Sends global announcements at a user-defined interval

#1 User is offline   Twist3d 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 29 August 2008 - 10:16 PM

Ascent Console Announcer 1.0.8
Automatic server-wide message announcer, by Twist3d.

Last Updated: 8/29/2008

This release is an application I wrote today that sends randomly picked, user-defined server-wide announcements via the Ascent console at a user specified interval. It's fairly simple at the moment since I just wanted it to get the job done but if you submit feature requests and/or feedback I'll try to implement it if at all possible.

How do I use Ascent Console Announcer?
The application is fairly simple and straightforward to use. There is no installation required, you can basically just download it and save it to your desktop/realm folder/whatever (if you want to use it with multiple realms, stick a copy of the file in each realm and execute each copy for each realm, just make sure to set up the parameters right).

After you've saved it in the right place (anywhere), open the application and fill out the More Settings section with the proper information.

Ascent Executable Name: This is the name of your ascent world executable. For example, ascent-world (Aspire) or arcemu-world (ArcEmu). You do not include the .exe extension.

EXACT Ascent Window Title: This is the title of the ascent world console window. The value you enter here must be EXACT, and it IS case sensitive (meaning C:\ASCENT is not the same as c:\ascent). An example window title would be C:\server\ascent-world.exe.
This is really very simple, just launch your server and type whatever the title bar of the black screen with the gray letters says.

Setting up multiple realms
No special changes are needed to set up the application to work with multiple realms. Just make a copy of the application in the folder for each of your realms, and then set the Window Title accordingly.
For example, one realm might have the window title C:\funserver\ascent-world.exe and another realm might have the window title C:\blizzlike\arcemu-world.exe.

Announcer's Features

-Allows for an unlimited number of messages to be broadcast to the server at an interval of anywhere from 30 seconds to 10 minutes.

-Randomly picks the message it will send, though it will never send the same message twice in a row.

-Works with an unlimited number of realms.

-Will send the announcement to the Ascent console even if it is the background or minimized.

-Can be sent to the system tray to reduce screen clutter and taskbar button usage.

-Automatically checks for updates and will quickly and painlessly update when one becomes available, you just hit yes to accept the update and it takes care of the rest with no installer/webbrowser required.

-Compatible with all flavors of Ascent, and maybe even MaNGOS if it uses the "announce" command to send a global message.

-Includes a Color Code generator to easily add color to your messages.

-And mo-- well not really, that's it. Post if you want me to add something to it.

Screenshots

The main window. (color code button not shown here)
Posted Image

The tray icon.
Posted Image

Download
Executable:
http://leetsoft.net/...tConsoleAnn.exe

Virusscan.jotti.org Results
File: AscentConsoleAnn.exe
MD5: 7c0417958acbd14bc99dbacdb7a7626e
Packers detected: -

Scanner results
Scan taken on 30 Aug 2008 02:20:22 (GMT)
A-Squared
Found nothing
AntiVir
Found nothing
ArcaVir
Found nothing
Avast
Found nothing
AVG Antivirus
Found nothing
BitDefender
Found nothing
ClamAV
Found nothing
CPsecure
Found nothing
Dr.Web
Found nothing
F-Prot Antivirus
Found nothing
F-Secure Anti-Virus
Found nothing
Fortinet
Found nothing
Ikarus
Found nothing
Kaspersky Anti-Virus
Found nothing
NOD32
Found nothing
Norman Virus Control
Found nothing
Panda Antivirus
Found nothing
Sophos Antivirus
Found nothing
VirusBuster
Found nothing
VBA32
Found nothing

Feedback
Please let me know if you love it, like it, hate it, whatever. Just if you hate it, please give me suggestions as to how it can be improved. Even if you don't hate it, I would still like comments and suggestions for new features or improvements, I love hearing from users and I will try my best to implement your requests. :o

VB.Net source code is available upon request.

#2 User is offline   Luminarium 

• Occasional Poster
  • PipPip

Posted 30 August 2008 - 10:48 AM

Thank you for bringing a little sunlight into this benighted day. :)

#3 User is offline   Nightranger 

• Pip

Posted 30 August 2008 - 02:04 PM

Fantastic tool, well done. Now the big question is, can someone make a version for linux servers?

#4 User is offline   zeebes 

Posted 30 August 2008 - 08:05 PM

View PostNightranger, on Aug 30 2008, 03:04 PM, said:

Fantastic tool, well done. Now the big question is, can someone make a version for linux servers?

Wouldn't it be easier just to make a simple script to use the remote management console and throw it in a cron job?

#5 User is offline   darkrune 

Posted 04 September 2008 - 02:39 PM

it could be nice if there could be added some color text codes, or something itīs only was needed to click on. Same with big words.

#6 User is offline   Twist3d 

• Pip

Posted 05 September 2008 - 08:12 PM

View Postdarkrune, on Sep 4 2008, 02:39 PM, said:

it could be nice if there could be added some color text codes, or something itīs only was needed to click on. Same with big words.

Done, 1.0.7 allows you to select a color, and it generates the WoW color code for you. Not sure what you mean for "same with big words".

#7 User is offline   wistic 

• Pip

Posted 12 September 2008 - 08:37 PM

Doesnt seem to be working forr me when i type acatestsend it says ascent isnt a command and i understand that sooo..... i figued id make my messages say "announce Welcome to the server" but it never announces.....

#8 User is offline   wistic 

• Pip

Posted 12 September 2008 - 09:01 PM

in addition to my post i have it set to every 30 sec say the message all that happens is the enabled check mark becomes unchcked thanks.

#9 User is offline   Twist3d 

• Pip

Posted 14 September 2008 - 03:48 AM

View Postwistic, on Sep 12 2008, 10:01 PM, said:

in addition to my post i have it set to every 30 sec say the message all that happens is the enabled check mark becomes unchcked thanks.

The reason it's unchecking the Enabled box and not announcing is because you probably only have one message. The announcer will not work unless you have at least two messages in the messages list. If you don't want the announcer to send different messages, just make two messages that are exactly the same and it will work fine.

Also, just a suggestion, you might want to increase the interval to about 120, trust me, 30 seconds will be wayyy too often and it will annoy people. Three minutes is my recommended interval, though I think you'd be able to lower it to 2-2.5 minutes without pissing anyone off.

#10 User is offline   wistic 

• Pip

Posted 14 September 2008 - 05:41 PM

View PostTwist3d, on Sep 14 2008, 04:48 AM, said:

The reason it's unchecking the Enabled box and not announcing is because you probably only have one message. The announcer will not work unless you have at least two messages in the messages list. If you don't want the announcer to send different messages, just make two messages that are exactly the same and it will work fine.

Also, just a suggestion, you might want to increase the interval to about 120, trust me, 30 seconds will be wayyy too often and it will annoy people. Three minutes is my recommended interval, though I think you'd be able to lower it to 2-2.5 minutes without pissing anyone off.

yes it was just used for testing. Thanks ill try it

#11 User is offline   Darknation 

• The Infractionator
  • Group: Banned

Posted 14 September 2008 - 10:44 PM

Wonderful utility. I've wanted something like this for a long time, thanks for your contribution.
QUOTE ( default8p)
When I saw the thread title I thought you were going to show us a picture of yourself putting 18 crayons up your nose smile.gif

QUOTE ( Stryker)
You know it takes 41 muscles to frown and only 5 to slap a person? I'm lazy and 5 seems like your lucky number.

#12 User is offline   Sorcerer 

• Pip

Posted 24 September 2008 - 03:13 PM

I would be interested in looking at the Source Code what version of VB.net is it written in?

#13 User is offline   Twist3d 

• Pip

Posted 25 September 2008 - 03:04 PM

View PostSorcerer, on Sep 24 2008, 04:13 PM, said:

I would be interested in looking at the Source Code what version of VB.net is it written in?

It be 2005.

Link is here: http://www.leetsoft....tConsoleAnn.rar

Not sure if it's the 100% latest version, but it shouldn't matter because the important part that anyone cares about -- how it sends the string to the console -- hasn't ever been changed.

Glad you all like it.

#14 User is offline   Sorcerer 

• Pip

Posted 25 September 2008 - 11:22 PM

Code says version 1.0.8 and is from August 29th Thanks for the Link

#15 User is offline   Twist3d 

• Pip

Posted 28 September 2008 - 12:12 PM

No problem, and thanks to whichever moderator stickied this, only just realized! :P

#16 User is offline   Stryder302 

Posted 02 October 2008 - 03:44 AM

I was just wondering if you could help me, I use a restarter for my server and I can't seem to get this program to work with it. Can you shed some light on the subject for me?

In the actual wow directory it is just called worldrestarter.bat but the shortcut that I run off the desktop calls it something else. What would I use for target directories to get it to work correctly?

#17 User is offline   trashman2012 

• Pip

Posted 02 October 2008 - 11:09 AM

you have some awsome skills, the code is sweet! i really liked the 'ignore me that was funny :huh:

#18 User is offline   iwan 

• Pip

Posted 16 October 2008 - 06:20 AM

not bad but i woukd like to use russian letters in the massage can you make it?
Rysinka.ru -расшарь свои возможности пользования интерентом!

Rysinka.ru -make yourself pro-master about using the internet!

#19 User is offline   Zum 

• Interested
  • Group: Retired

Posted 16 October 2008 - 07:31 AM

we have a different system for global announcements now, look at the broadcast stuff

#20 User is offline   Twist3d 

• Pip

Posted 18 October 2008 - 09:05 PM

View Posttrashman2012, on Oct 2 2008, 12:09 PM, said:

you have some awsome skills, the code is sweet! i really liked the 'ignore me that was funny ;)

Heh, VB2005 != Awesome skillz.
But I appreciate the compliment, lol :)

View Postiwan, on Oct 16 2008, 07:20 AM, said:

not bad but i woukd like to use russian letters in the massage can you make it?

Unfortunately there is no way I can even test russian characters since I don't have a russian language pack/character set installed on my machine. On top of that, I don't even have the slightest clue how I would get the PostMessage api function to take a non-english character.

What happens if you try to have ACA send a russian letter? Like what gets displayed to the server.
Also, are you able to manually type in russian characters into the console, and have them display? Example: a [russian]

I'll do some research.

View PostZum, on Oct 16 2008, 08:31 AM, said:

we have a different system for global announcements now, look at the broadcast stuff

I can't update my server's revision (we're using like 624 or something) at the moment, could you tell me what the change was? Is it something simple like broadcast [message] instead of announce [message]? If so I could throw a toggle switch in there to fix it.

EDIT: @Stryder: Sorry I took so long to reply.
For the first box, you will need to type in the executable name. Ninety-nine percent of the time this is ascent-world.exe or arcemu-world.exe.
To find out, start your server, Ctrl+Alt+Delete, click the Applications tab, right click on the listitem that is for the server console, and click Go To Process. The selected process is the one you need to type in. You don't need to include .exe, but if you do it will be removed for you.

For the second box, you need to type in the window title, with exact capitalization. The window you need is the one where you enter commands in to interact with the server.
In my case it is C:\arcemu (live server)\arcemu-world.exe.
In your case it may be the name of the batch file that is executing the server (i.e. C:\ascent\worldrestarter.bat) or it may just be the window title for the ascent console (same as mine above).

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users