ArcEmu: Introducing A Developer/owner Arcemu Server Project - ArcEmu

Jump to content

Toggle shoutbox Lastest Announcements

dfighter  : (07 December 2014 - 12:06 PM) Arcemu is in hibernation mode, please read http://arcemu.org/fo...showtopic=26903
dfighter  : (01 January 2013 - 05:56 PM) Arcemu wishes you all a happy new year!
Hasbro  : (12 September 2012 - 10:01 AM) Please excuse our outage from the web! Our web host had a major malfunction!
dfighter  : (01 September 2012 - 04:05 PM) Since the spam bots just don't want to stop, I've enabled admin verification when registering.
dfighter  : (23 January 2012 - 09:56 PM) Please note that from now on you will need to confirm your email on the wiki in order to edit it!
Hasbro  : (31 December 2011 - 12:50 PM) Happy New Years all!
Navid  : (26 December 2011 - 04:09 AM) Merry Christmas !!!!!! Happy holidays all :)
WAmadeus  : (24 December 2011 - 03:54 PM) Merry Christmas to all!
dfighter  : (24 December 2011 - 11:05 AM) The Arcemu team wishes y'all a Merry Christmukkah!
Hasbro  : (05 October 2011 - 12:53 PM) Looking for web designers for upcoming web related project. If you're interested in designing user interfaces contact me
dfighter  : (02 September 2011 - 03:47 PM) So who here wants vehicles in Arcemu? :P http://arcemu.org/fo...showtopic=25440
Hasbro  : (14 August 2011 - 03:25 PM) Join us on irc, grab an irc client and connect to irc.freenode.net join channel #arcemu /server irc.freenode.net:6667 /join #arcemu
jackpoz  : (03 August 2011 - 05:33 AM) to all Lua Engine (old one) users: please check http://arcemu.org/fo...showtopic=25274
Hasbro  : (20 May 2011 - 05:27 PM) Looking for people experienced with CMake configuration and setup! Contact me asap
Hasbro  : (15 May 2011 - 05:03 PM) ArcEmu is recruiting C++ programmers, contact Hasbro if interested.
paroxysm  : (03 May 2011 - 06:26 PM) Updated luabridge gossip example to describe the whole gossip creation process rather than just how to create menu. Gossip tutorial
paroxysm  : (23 April 2011 - 11:35 AM) Lua writers can refer to the Luabridge Tutorials section in the Wiki to learn how to write gossip code correctly.
Hasbro  : (20 April 2011 - 05:22 PM) Thank you for your continuous contribution of bug reports, we are working on them.
Hasbro  : (17 April 2011 - 03:20 AM) Please consider donating to support our bills. Donations can be sent using PayPal to donations@arcemu.org - Thank you for your support.
paroxysm  : (10 April 2011 - 12:43 AM) Refer to the Luabridge Tutorials section in the Wiki to learn the new syntax of luabridge.
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Introducing A Developer/owner Arcemu Server Project Who would like to participate on a new project ?

#1 User is offline   Andragon 

  • Member
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 70
  • Joined: 02-January 12
  • Gender:Male
  • Server OS:Windows

Posted 14 January 2012 - 05:51 AM

Hi everybody,

I'm looking for people who are interesting to participate on a new project for an ArcEmu Developer/Owner server.

What does it mean ?

At the end the project should offer 3 different ArcEmu servers.

1. Public Developer/Owner server
f. ex. to test scripts, to make tutorials, to create addons, to provide a player community, invent new roleplay elements or just bend the server to force more fun out of WoW. A meeting-point for developers and owners.

2. Public blizzlike server (real condition server)
Playing server under real condition

3. Public Fun/High rate server (real condition server)
Playing server under real condition

The project should show what ArcEmu is able to offer (like a showcase scenario or like a proof of concept). Collect information in a wiki documentation how to setup a ArcEmu server in real life. How to setup a community website and to connect databases and scripts on.

We would like to invite you for a little brainstorming. What could be done to create outstanding features not existing on 1000 other servers ? Discuss with us about things that are good on WoW and what you may don't like anymore. What is boring, what could be done better ?

Important: Everything just for fun, nobody is pressed to do something. Beginners, visitors, professionals are welcome to participate and to share some of their ideas and their knowledge.

Who should participate ?

Everybody, of course :) In each case everybody who has fun with WoW, preferable people of the developer/owner scene. Complex project: If you have ideas the share about creation of websites with PHP/Javascript, if you are an outstanding graphic artist, if you are a LUA or C++ programmer, welcome all. Or you are a fine storywriter ? You would like to develop new stories of WoW universe for exciting gameplays ? Things never existing on other servers ? Come to us.
Or you just would like to test an ArcEmu server how to play, maybe to fly as GM over Azeroth ? Everything is possible on our developer/owner public server.

I would enjoy to get your feedback. Either here in the forum or send me a PM. If you would like to participate please just tell me. If in the next couple of weeks around 5-10 persons would join, I would like to start the project in about 1-2 months.
Posted Image
Join our new public ArcEmu
developer server project. Please visit our website at dev.LandOfElves.net and share the knowledge of ArcEmu servers !
Mach mit bei einem neuen öffentlichen ArcEmu Server für Entwickler. Besuche dev.LandOfElves.net und tausche Dich mit anderen Mitgliedern aus.

0

#2 User is offline   dfighter 

  • Titles are overrated
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • Posts: 5,189
  • Joined: 14-June 08
  • IRC:dfighter
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Budapest, Hungary
  • Server OS:Linux

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:30 PM

There are already people hosting server for similar purposes, like Artox & Lurker and blackdragon, you should consult with them and make some deal to cooperate.
As for the development part, you should use the Arcemu forums, because I don't think it's a good idea to fragment the community further. If there's more activity on the forums, that could make us more visible and it could attract more people, if they can see what's possible with Arcemu :)
"The demand for free goods is infinite."

Check out my blog and feel free to follow me if you like!
0

#3 User is offline   Andragon 

  • Member
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 70
  • Joined: 02-January 12
  • Gender:Male
  • Server OS:Windows

Posted 15 January 2012 - 05:44 AM

Frankly spoken ....

....good to know about Artox & Co. But if they have similiar projects, why they are not promoted here on ArceEmu's website ? Why there is no fat big ad "Welcome to our public ArcEmu project" ? Why Artox didn't comment my post in the German forum ?
That's one of the problems I discovered while working on or with ArcEmu. I can't feel that there is a big community that is really interested to work on ONE big project, means to bring (or to show how to bring) an ArcEmu server really to work as a public game server. Some are working on the core. Some are working on the database. Some are working on translation of that. Some are cooking their own soup. Most of them are doing it alone, and early or later they will die or at least are bored because the project is too much complex for one person.

Than I have seen that some of the users here really managed to setup a public game server. At least of 2 users I know that they have since 3 years really fine server projects. But average amount of players is 30 on each server. I feel really sad to see that, because WoW makes only fun when you have at least several 100 players at the same time. I really think not only developers also owners should join into less but bigger projects. Why not to share some good stable managed running servers on different own websites? Own your game project but share the server together with other small owners. This could increase the amount of players and decrease the total cost of ownership drastically.

Back to my offered project. First of all I wanted to start this as a German speaking community project. But after all we decided to do it bilingual to offer access for more people. I discussed with Magnifikator and he agreed that it's necessary to work further on ArcEmu's Wiki and to discuss specific problems in this forum. The cut between our project and ArcEmu should be at the point where the installation of the server is finished. Till there AreEmu has also a fine documented Wiki (and Magnifikatior translated that into German). But I think you will agree that after installation of the server you can access with the client only. But you don't have a really playable server. At this point our project wants to start.

As far as I know ArcEmu's team always declared in forum and wiki that they want be responsible for the core programming only. I think that's a good idea.

So, I hope a lot of people still will support us, please discuss with us, help us wherever you have the possibility to do, share some of your knowledge. We will try to offer you a fine structured documentation, running ArcEmu servers to test and play and a last but not least I personally really would like to invent new WoW gameplays, because I don't want to collect any more any stones, leathers, furs whatever :D Playing WoW could be so much more than doing repetitive work. And I take it as a personal challenge to prove if it's possible with ArcEmu or not.

And at the moment we have 3 domains registered and I try in the next couples of days to install website, forum, wiki, ftp and of course a running server. So stay tuned :D

"I do not join. I lead." as iEzri always said.


PS:
If you are totally curious about, watch here: forum.landofelves.net. But don't except a lot there at the moment, it's totally new installed. :)
Posted Image
Join our new public ArcEmu
developer server project. Please visit our website at dev.LandOfElves.net and share the knowledge of ArcEmu servers !
Mach mit bei einem neuen öffentlichen ArcEmu Server für Entwickler. Besuche dev.LandOfElves.net und tausche Dich mit anderen Mitgliedern aus.

0

#4 User is offline   Artox 

  • Occasional Poster
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 142
  • Joined: 01-November 08

Posted 15 January 2012 - 08:05 AM

View PostAndragon, on 15 January 2012 - 05:44 AM, said:

Why Artox didn't comment my post in the German forum ?


Pretty simple answer: I am reading this forum like once a month because I am pretty busy at university. But also why should I answer to a call for joining a project when I am already busy with what I have.
Posted Image
0

#5 User is offline   Andragon 

  • Member
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 70
  • Joined: 02-January 12
  • Gender:Male
  • Server OS:Windows

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:10 AM

Hey Artox, it was not to criticize you. What I wanted to say was: Why didn't you promote your project on a good place ? Or is it not a public project? And I didn't meant that you should join my new project, I only asked myself why you didn't told me that you have one yourself and didn't invited me to visit it. :) May I wouldn't start than after my own one.

Anyway you are still welcome :D :D, but hold up your work at the university, too
Posted Image
Join our new public ArcEmu
developer server project. Please visit our website at dev.LandOfElves.net and share the knowledge of ArcEmu servers !
Mach mit bei einem neuen öffentlichen ArcEmu Server für Entwickler. Besuche dev.LandOfElves.net und tausche Dich mit anderen Mitgliedern aus.

0

#6 User is offline   Navid 

  • Persian Prance of ArcEmu
  • Group: Super Moderator
  • Posts: 718
  • Joined: 30-June 09
  • IRC:Lurker-
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Iran
  • Interests:PHP,C++,ArcEmu and exactly our lovely community and specially money xD
  • Server OS:Windows

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:30 PM

Oh god,you need to have free time to work on a project,really ,we're trying to start our project for some months but we couldn't because we have no enough time , time is really really important .
+ it needs help from others too !!! without help and time we can do nothing , believe me .
I'm here to check,lurk and kill you so behave or you will be lurked

Posted Image
0

#7 User is offline   dfighter 

  • Titles are overrated
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • Posts: 5,189
  • Joined: 14-June 08
  • IRC:dfighter
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Budapest, Hungary
  • Server OS:Linux

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:16 PM

View PostAndragon, on 15 January 2012 - 05:44 AM, said:

Frankly spoken ....

....good to know about Artox & Co. But if they have similiar projects, why they are not promoted here on ArceEmu's website ? Why there is no fat big ad "Welcome to our public ArcEmu project" ? Why Artox didn't comment my post in the German forum ?
That's one of the problems I discovered while working on or with ArcEmu. I can't feel that there is a big community that is really interested to work on ONE big project, means to bring (or to show how to bring) an ArcEmu server really to work as a public game server. Some are working on the core. Some are working on the database. Some are working on translation of that. Some are cooking their own soup. Most of them are doing it alone, and early or later they will die or at least are bored because the project is too much complex for one person.

Than I have seen that some of the users here really managed to setup a public game server. At least of 2 users I know that they have since 3 years really fine server projects. But average amount of players is 30 on each server. I feel really sad to see that, because WoW makes only fun when you have at least several 100 players at the same time. I really think not only developers also owners should join into less but bigger projects. Why not to share some good stable managed running servers on different own websites? Own your game project but share the server together with other small owners. This could increase the amount of players and decrease the total cost of ownership drastically.

Back to my offered project. First of all I wanted to start this as a German speaking community project. But after all we decided to do it bilingual to offer access for more people. I discussed with Magnifikator and he agreed that it's necessary to work further on ArcEmu's Wiki and to discuss specific problems in this forum. The cut between our project and ArcEmu should be at the point where the installation of the server is finished. Till there AreEmu has also a fine documented Wiki (and Magnifikatior translated that into German). But I think you will agree that after installation of the server you can access with the client only. But you don't have a really playable server. At this point our project wants to start.

As far as I know ArcEmu's team always declared in forum and wiki that they want be responsible for the core programming only. I think that's a good idea.

So, I hope a lot of people still will support us, please discuss with us, help us wherever you have the possibility to do, share some of your knowledge. We will try to offer you a fine structured documentation, running ArcEmu servers to test and play and a last but not least I personally really would like to invent new WoW gameplays, because I don't want to collect any more any stones, leathers, furs whatever :) Playing WoW could be so much more than doing repetitive work. And I take it as a personal challenge to prove if it's possible with ArcEmu or not.

And at the moment we have 3 domains registered and I try in the next couples of days to install website, forum, wiki, ftp and of course a running server. So stay tuned :)

"I do not join. I lead." as iEzri always said.


PS:
If you are totally curious about, watch here: forum.landofelves.net. But don't except a lot there at the moment, it's totally new installed. :D

Well being divided, and everyone working for their own benefit only attitude is something we unfortunately inherited from the Antrix, Ascent community.
As for why no promotion, simply because that usually ends up in drama, however it would ofc make sense to have at least some kind of list of known projects that use / develop for Arcemu. This will have to be discussed in the team and we need to discuss legal options, since we don't want to get into trouble ofc.
As for what we want to work on, is indeed the "core", trust me it's a big project as it is already.
We aim to be an MMORPG framework that is easy to customize, since as you say an MMORPG could be a lot more than collecting and killing stuff!
On the long term we plan on creating content creation tools ( like GUI tools for creating items, quests, etc ) and also our own client ( but that's a very daring and long term plan ).
It would be nice to have a supporting peer-reviewed database (whydb does this already somewhat( and scripts project as well. The emphasis is on peer-reviewed!
"The demand for free goods is infinite."

Check out my blog and feel free to follow me if you like!
0

#8 User is offline   Andragon 

  • Member
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 70
  • Joined: 02-January 12
  • Gender:Male
  • Server OS:Windows

Posted 17 January 2012 - 03:51 PM

View PostLurker, on 16 January 2012 - 06:30 PM, said:

Oh god,you need to have free time to work on a project,really ,we're trying to start our project for some months but we couldn't because we have no enough time , time is really really important .
+ it needs help from others too !!! without help and time we can do nothing , believe me .

Absolute acknowledged, Lurker !! That's why I'm running here and in other forums around and beg for help and attention for this project. That's also the main reason why I have started it. And I will continue to beg believe me :D But it's not my first community project. I joined or led different project in the last years. I know the problems very well. And at the end I only can say: Either people here are interested to work on a exiting project together and help themselves by reducing waste of time in doing everything alone. Or everything will stay as it was.

View Postdfighter, on 16 January 2012 - 10:16 PM, said:

Well being divided, and everyone working for their own benefit only attitude is something we unfortunately inherited from the Antrix, Ascent community.
As for why no promotion, simply because that usually ends up in drama, however it would ofc make sense to have at least some kind of list of known projects that use / develop for Arcemu. This will have to be discussed in the team and we need to discuss legal options, since we don't want to get into trouble ofc.
As for what we want to work on, is indeed the "core", trust me it's a big project as it is already.
We aim to be an MMORPG framework that is easy to customize, since as you say an MMORPG could be a lot more than collecting and killing stuff!
On the long term we plan on creating content creation tools ( like GUI tools for creating items, quests, etc ) and also our own client ( but that's a very daring and long term plan ).
It would be nice to have a supporting peer-reviewed database (whydb does this already somewhat( and scripts project as well. The emphasis is on peer-reviewed!

I read your post twice and can't see anything speaking against our new project :). Just give me some weeks to setup everything on LandOfElves.net and to make a proper detailed description of our project. I would appreciate if you review it from time to time and may also give some hints and new ideas in our forum. (forum is also open for guests :))
Posted Image
Join our new public ArcEmu
developer server project. Please visit our website at dev.LandOfElves.net and share the knowledge of ArcEmu servers !
Mach mit bei einem neuen öffentlichen ArcEmu Server für Entwickler. Besuche dev.LandOfElves.net und tausche Dich mit anderen Mitgliedern aus.

0

#9 User is offline   Navid 

  • Persian Prance of ArcEmu
  • Group: Super Moderator
  • Posts: 718
  • Joined: 30-June 09
  • IRC:Lurker-
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Iran
  • Interests:PHP,C++,ArcEmu and exactly our lovely community and specially money xD
  • Server OS:Windows

Posted 17 January 2012 - 05:18 PM

View PostAndragon, on 17 January 2012 - 03:51 PM, said:

Absolute acknowledged, Lurker !! That's why I'm running here and in other forums around and beg for help and attention for this project. That's also the main reason why I have started it. And I will continue to beg believe me :D But it's not my first community project. I joined or led different project in the last years. I know the problems very well. And at the end I only can say: Either people here are interested to work on a exiting project together and help themselves by reducing waste of time in doing everything alone. Or everything will stay as it was.


I read your post twice and can't see anything speaking against our new project :). Just give me some weeks to setup everything on LandOfElves.net and to make a proper detailed description of our project. I would appreciate if you review it from time to time and may also give some hints and new ideas in our forum. (forum is also open for guests :))



I agree with you in some ways but not completely ,I was working with god some years ago ,he couldn't do much when Angels and Devils didn't contribute to control us !!!!

so if you want to work with us you need to attract our satisfaction to work with you ,but in other ways if you want to just work with arcemu sources this is the other thing and it didn't need to get help here.


But don't forget ,ArcEmu is our the most important thing and the first choice here :) .
I'm here to check,lurk and kill you so behave or you will be lurked

Posted Image
0

#10 User is offline   Andragon 

  • Member
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 70
  • Joined: 02-January 12
  • Gender:Male
  • Server OS:Windows

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:13 PM

Yes, I see that I have to make a proper description of what we will offer soon :D Give me some weeks and I think than I can introduce our project on our website better.

But in a few words, before I go to bed now: We would like to offer to everybody (beginners, owners, developers, interested people) a full working state of the art ArcEmu server of a actual revision. Including FTP access to scripts, to sql database and so on. People are invited just to test an ArcEmu server or to join our group and to enhance this projects. But we would like not only to develop software we would like a to develop also new games ideas. Or just discuss what would be nice to change, to have, to make fun. We would like to create a documented wiki so people could inform what they need beside the arcemu core, if they want do to their own ArcEmu server.

That's what I meant with 1. Public Developer/Owner server in my starting post.

And of course we also would like to offer (later) 2 more ArcEmu servers, just to play, to show that it's works what we are developing under real condition. Of course these servers would not have a public access to databases or scripts. They are more or less just like other p-servers, but in mind that they are inherited from the public developer server, like a proof of concept.
2. Public blizzlike server
3. Public Fun/High rate server

My idea was: arcemu.org develops (and discuss and document) the core and we offer what you can do (or have do to) AFTER an installation of the core.

So, now I have to sleep. Good night, all of you and thanks for reading and discussing my posts here.
Posted Image
Join our new public ArcEmu
developer server project. Please visit our website at dev.LandOfElves.net and share the knowledge of ArcEmu servers !
Mach mit bei einem neuen öffentlichen ArcEmu Server für Entwickler. Besuche dev.LandOfElves.net und tausche Dich mit anderen Mitgliedern aus.

0

#11 User is offline   Grimnir 

  • Occasional Poster
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 112
  • Joined: 03-November 11
  • Gender:Male
  • Server OS:Linux

Posted 18 January 2012 - 04:24 PM

Quote

new games

you know arcemu is only an emulator and there is still a lot of work to do... even with such great developers it will take time... but thinking to make a whole new game/client is ridiculous... but not impossible...

Quote

access to scripts, to sql database

That's more tangible but even only the setup of these things will take time and won't work instantly.

Your goals are quite big...
You should try going smaller steps and not so big as you can imagine.
0

#12 User is offline   Magnifikator 

  • Interested
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 398
  • Joined: 05-October 11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Switzerland
  • Server OS:Windows

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:56 AM

View PostGrimnir, on 18 January 2012 - 04:24 PM, said:

you know arcemu is only an emulator and there is still a lot of work to do... even with such great developers it will take time... but thinking to make a whole new game/client is ridiculous... but not impossible...

That's more tangible but even only the setup of these things will take time and won't work instantly.

Your goals are quite big...
You should try going smaller steps and not so big as you can imagine.

He didn't wrote 'new games', in fact he wrote 'new game ideas'. A WoW game is not only a client and a server. You have also to fill WoW with new ideas, maybe f.ex. stories, quests, other honour and rewards systems (not technically) what ever. The project is not alone about programming, it's also just for discussing about ideas. May be just to have a lit bit of fun, why not ? I also have spoken in other forums about that, and in one forum a feedback was: WOW isn't it already dead and boring? I don't think so, I only think the standard way of playing could be enhanced with new ideas.

Smaller steps ? Never ever :) :) :D
But I agree that I (and hopfulley also other people have to invest some time). But isn't that what all hobbies needs? Time (and money) ?

Technically we don't see at the moment a lot of problems. We only thinking about how to setup user rights for a public developer server. But for such things there will be found always a practical solution (earlier or later :D )

Once more, this project shouldn't be only about programming. It should be also a entry point for beginners of own servers and to show what ArcEmu is able to do (and may what it's not able). And just to have a little bit of fun beside your working day. :)
Try out the LoE ArcEmu World database. Please visit dev.LandOfElves.net.

Posted Image


0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users