ArcEmu: Arcemu Moved To Git - ArcEmu

Toggle shoutbox Lastest Announcements

dfighter  : (07 December 2014 - 12:06 PM) Arcemu is in hibernation mode, please read http://arcemu.org/fo...showtopic=26903
dfighter  : (01 January 2013 - 05:56 PM) Arcemu wishes you all a happy new year!
Hasbro  : (12 September 2012 - 10:01 AM) Please excuse our outage from the web! Our web host had a major malfunction!
dfighter  : (01 September 2012 - 04:05 PM) Since the spam bots just don't want to stop, I've enabled admin verification when registering.
dfighter  : (23 January 2012 - 09:56 PM) Please note that from now on you will need to confirm your email on the wiki in order to edit it!
Hasbro  : (31 December 2011 - 12:50 PM) Happy New Years all!
Navid  : (26 December 2011 - 04:09 AM) Merry Christmas !!!!!! Happy holidays all :)
WAmadeus  : (24 December 2011 - 03:54 PM) Merry Christmas to all!
dfighter  : (24 December 2011 - 11:05 AM) The Arcemu team wishes y'all a Merry Christmukkah!
Hasbro  : (05 October 2011 - 12:53 PM) Looking for web designers for upcoming web related project. If you're interested in designing user interfaces contact me
dfighter  : (02 September 2011 - 03:47 PM) So who here wants vehicles in Arcemu? :P http://arcemu.org/fo...showtopic=25440
Hasbro  : (14 August 2011 - 03:25 PM) Join us on irc, grab an irc client and connect to irc.freenode.net join channel #arcemu /server irc.freenode.net:6667 /join #arcemu
jackpoz  : (03 August 2011 - 05:33 AM) to all Lua Engine (old one) users: please check http://arcemu.org/fo...showtopic=25274
Hasbro  : (20 May 2011 - 05:27 PM) Looking for people experienced with CMake configuration and setup! Contact me asap
Hasbro  : (15 May 2011 - 05:03 PM) ArcEmu is recruiting C++ programmers, contact Hasbro if interested.
paroxysm  : (03 May 2011 - 06:26 PM) Updated luabridge gossip example to describe the whole gossip creation process rather than just how to create menu. Gossip tutorial
paroxysm  : (23 April 2011 - 11:35 AM) Lua writers can refer to the Luabridge Tutorials section in the Wiki to learn how to write gossip code correctly.
Hasbro  : (20 April 2011 - 05:22 PM) Thank you for your continuous contribution of bug reports, we are working on them.
Hasbro  : (17 April 2011 - 03:20 AM) Please consider donating to support our bills. Donations can be sent using PayPal to donations@arcemu.org - Thank you for your support.
paroxysm  : (10 April 2011 - 12:43 AM) Refer to the Luabridge Tutorials section in the Wiki to learn the new syntax of luabridge.
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Arcemu Moved To Git

#1 User is offline   Knight Industries 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 November 2011 - 11:26 AM

First of all I would like to say that i like that you moved to git.

BUT I have some big problems with that

first why the hell did you delete the SVN? Some People could need that in the future. Why dont you think of that people.

second if you delete the SVN because all the old commits are now in git you got a big error in thinking e.g. give me the git pull line for r4061...... nobody? exactly .... you cant give me that because the revision numbers are not there in the git repository because someone forgot to copy them over.

So please update the Git and import the Revision Numbers of the old SVN Commits. Or re upload the whole SVN repository please. I think otherwise there is a big confusion because all of the CommitLogs say something like "Revert to revision 558." for example and nobody nows that it is now 10cfebeb36681114d84930f0087ce353d97ddc33.

Also I just saw that many old versions of files are unavailable whit an 404 error.

Greetings Marcus

#2 User is offline   dfighter 

• Titles are overrated
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • IRC:dfighter
  • Server OS:Linux

Posted 13 November 2011 - 01:33 PM

Quite honestly, you don't need the version numbers.
There is no reason why you'd need an older version of Arcemu, as it gets better and better, you always want the latest version ( or something close, but definitely not 4061 ).
Anyhow here's the full SVN log http://www.mediafire...fiu261q3r8u1orh
With this you can find what you are looking for...
"The demand for free goods is infinite."

#3 User is offline   Knight Industries 

• Pip

Posted 13 November 2011 - 01:55 PM

Hi

that SVN log is very helpful the only thing that would be better is an full svn dump xD

But why dont you stick whit the normal revision numbers? Those cryptic commit numbers are much to complicated. Also for the DB Devs. The same problem was when mangos changed to git and now they also use simple revision numbers.

If you commit an SQL Update how do the Users know which Updates they should import (Arcemu dont change much database stuff i know)

On your side the revision numbers doesn't matter. On the User side they are Useful.

I also know that i can write anything here, you probably dont change that anyway. But I think that the revision numbers are very important and you just deleted them. And then also deleted the SVN repo which also could be there forever just for stuff like that if you need an specific revision or whatever. (The History of Arcemu) very sad.....

#4 User is offline   dfighter 

• Titles are overrated

Posted 13 November 2011 - 02:02 PM

The history of Arcemu is in the GIT repository, that was the point of converting not just starting with a new and empty GIT repo...
Also we use database versions and updates like 2012-01-01_13-37_awesome.sql, don't tell me that it's hard to see how they follow each others there...

#5 User is offline   THCSphere 

• Pip

Posted 13 November 2011 - 02:14 PM

If you have that much problem, get a GUI for git. Use TortoiseGit on Winblows. You can search revisions for author/message as you could on tortoisesvn. as for linux, I don't honestly know as I never look at logs of my own stuff, but it's really simple if you're a windows based user.

#6 User is offline   Knight Industries 

• Pip

Posted 13 November 2011 - 02:16 PM

Is it possible the get that SVN repo back on its last state or is it gone for ever?

Edit @THCSphere

I dont use Windows

#7 User is offline   dfighter 

• Titles are overrated

Posted 13 November 2011 - 02:23 PM

View PostKnight Industries, on 13 November 2011 - 02:16 PM, said:

Is it possible the get that SVN repo back on its last state or is it gone for ever?

I have multiple backups but no it's not coming back.
We are using GIT now ;)

#8 User is offline   Knight Industries 

• Pip

Posted 13 November 2011 - 02:24 PM

Just for me please :-) ;) :P :P

I mean only the old revs the new stuff could be on git

#9 User is offline   jackpoz 

• ArcEmu Lemon Priest
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Developers
  • Server OS:Windows

Posted 13 November 2011 - 02:29 PM

View PostKnight Industries, on 13 November 2011 - 01:55 PM, said:

But why dont you stick whit the normal revision numbers? Those cryptic commit numbers are much to complicated. Also for the DB Devs.

There are no "normal revision numbers" in git and I didn't see yet any DB developer saying that their work is "much too complicated" now. Can you provide a valid example on why you'd need the revision number instead of the git hash or the commit timestamp?
Posted Image We develop dreams. Your dreams ;)
Posted ImagePosted Image

#10 User is offline   Knight Industries 

• Pip

Posted 13 November 2011 - 02:38 PM

For real there is no need of revision numbers for new commits.

They are only helpful for the old revisions. I couldn't give you an real example.

I use on my Server r4061 and I know that i use that rev but i dont know who uploaded it or when it was uploaded and i dont know the git hash of that rev.
I know that i use a very old version but i'm good whit that i build the whole server around it. And every time i tried to update to an newer rev there was an problem that i could not fix and i fall back to 4061.

Also when i take a look at the svn log and saw the newest version is e.g 4600 i know that im 4600-4061= !!!539!!! revisions behind the best arcemu available xD

#11 User is offline   dfighter 

• Titles are overrated

Posted 13 November 2011 - 02:54 PM

I've given you the svn log, you can find out who commited that, with the commit message you can find the git version of it too (if it even exists, because not all commits were transferred to GIT ).

#12 User is offline   Knight Industries 

• Pip

Posted 13 November 2011 - 03:31 PM

View Postdfighter, on 13 November 2011 - 02:54 PM, said:

(if it even exists, because not all commits were transferred to GIT ).

The History of Arcemu is gone ....

#13 User is offline   dfighter 

• Titles are overrated

Posted 13 November 2011 - 03:41 PM

View PostKnight Industries, on 13 November 2011 - 03:31 PM, said:

The History of Arcemu is gone ....

It is not.
It only affects the branches...
Besides I've given you the entire changelog, so how could it be gone? o.O

#14 User is offline   Knight Industries 

• Pip

Posted 13 November 2011 - 03:58 PM

View Postdfighter, on 13 November 2011 - 03:41 PM, said:

Besides I've given you the entire changelog, so how could it be gone? o.O

True....

So the History is save but only available for some persons and not for everyone.

Lets get the point clear I want that old SVN back as an archive. You deleted it because you switched to git.

You wouldn't bring the SVN back because YOU are Arcemu and not WE all.

#15 User is offline   dfighter 

• Titles are overrated

Posted 13 November 2011 - 04:10 PM

View PostKnight Industries, on 13 November 2011 - 03:58 PM, said:

So the History is save but only available for some persons and not for everyone.

It is available for everyone... The forum is public, anyone can read it without even logging in.. and anyone can see the link I posted and download it...

View PostKnight Industries, on 13 November 2011 - 03:58 PM, said:

Lets get the point clear I want that old SVN back as an archive. You deleted it because you switched to git.

You wouldn't bring the SVN back because YOU are Arcemu and not WE all.

I want a nice house at some nice hot place near some ocean, a nice sport car, an extremely well paying job that is interesting ( preferable game development ), and a very hot wife with blue eyes and blonde hair.
Although I am not sure why you posted your wishlist here, thought I'd share mine too...

I wouldn't bring the SVN back because it is pointless.

#16 User is offline   Knight Industries 

• Pip

Posted 13 November 2011 - 04:23 PM

View Postdfighter, on 13 November 2011 - 04:10 PM, said:

It is available for everyone... The forum is public, anyone can read it without even logging in.. and anyone can see the link I posted and download it...

I meant the complete files and stuff

View Postdfighter, on 13 November 2011 - 04:10 PM, said:

I want a nice house at some nice hot place near some ocean, a nice sport car, an extremely well paying job that is interesting ( preferable game development ), and a very hot wife with blue eyes and blonde hair.
Although I am not sure why you posted your wishlist here, thought I'd share mine too...

If you help me whit my wish i help you whit yours. Although mine is much easier to fulfill.

And why is it pointless to bring it back? It was pointless to even delete it.

#17 User is offline   dfighter 

• Titles are overrated

Posted 13 November 2011 - 04:31 PM

View PostKnight Industries, on 13 November 2011 - 04:23 PM, said:

I meant the complete files and stuff
And why is it pointless to bring it back? It was pointless to even delete it.

You have the files on GIT.
It's pointless to bring it back because there is no reason why you'd need it, and it wasn't pointless to delete it, because it was deleted for a reason.
The reason being I didn't want people to think we are still on SourceForge and we are just dead or something similar, not to mention those statistic site bots that would double index Arcemu this way...

#18 User is offline   Knight Industries 

• Pip

Posted 13 November 2011 - 04:44 PM

View Postdfighter, on 13 November 2011 - 04:31 PM, said:

You have the files on GIT.

You sad that not all Files are there

View Postdfighter, on 13 November 2011 - 04:31 PM, said:

It's pointless to bring it back because there is no reason why you'd need it, and it wasn't pointless to delete it, because it was deleted for a reason.
The reason being I didn't want people to think we are still on SourceForge and we are just dead or something similar, not to mention those statistic site bots that would double index Arcemu this way...

The People notice that arcemu moved when you do a last commit deleting everything and adding a file that Says "Hey Guys we moved over to git come join us there". But you could do that as an last revision on svn so it is possible so pull the revs before that. But you reset the repository.

#19 User is offline   dfighter 

• Titles are overrated

Posted 13 November 2011 - 04:53 PM

View PostKnight Industries, on 13 November 2011 - 04:44 PM, said:

You sad that not all Files are there

The People notice that arcemu moved when you do a last commit deleting everything and adding a file that Says "Hey Guys we moved over to git come join us there". But you could do that as an last revision on svn so it is possible so pull the revs before that. But you reset the repository.

I said not all commits were transferred, because of the branches we didn't push. That doesn't mean that there are files missing from Arcemu.
Those branches were either merged or deleted since no one worked on them, so there's nothing missing in the end.
Again you have no need for the SVN repository, everything that you need is on GIT.

...and since this topic is starting to sound like a vinyl that is stuck, playing the same song over and over again, getting scratched and losing it's market value, it's now closed.

#20 User is offline   jackpoz 

• ArcEmu Lemon Priest
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Developers
  • Server OS:Windows

Posted 13 November 2011 - 06:57 PM

View PostKnight Industries, on 13 November 2011 - 02:38 PM, said:

I use on my Server r4061 and I know that i use that rev but i dont know who uploaded it or when it was uploaded and i dont know the git hash of that rev.
I know that i use a very old version but i'm good whit that i build the whole server around it. And every time i tried to update to an newer rev there was an problem that i could not fix and i fall back to 4061.

Also when i take a look at the svn log and saw the newest version is e.g 4600 i know that im 4600-4061= !!!539!!! revisions behind the best arcemu available xD

By using such an old revision you are not helping us testing the new changes and reporting issues. Why you don't want to help us improve ArcEmu? ;)
Posted Image We develop dreams. Your dreams ;)
Posted ImagePosted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users