ArcEmu: Updatemgr - ArcEmu

Jump to content

Toggle shoutbox Lastest Announcements

dfighter  : (07 December 2014 - 12:06 PM) Arcemu is in hibernation mode, please read http://arcemu.org/fo...showtopic=26903
dfighter  : (01 January 2013 - 05:56 PM) Arcemu wishes you all a happy new year!
Hasbro  : (12 September 2012 - 10:01 AM) Please excuse our outage from the web! Our web host had a major malfunction!
dfighter  : (01 September 2012 - 04:05 PM) Since the spam bots just don't want to stop, I've enabled admin verification when registering.
dfighter  : (23 January 2012 - 09:56 PM) Please note that from now on you will need to confirm your email on the wiki in order to edit it!
Hasbro  : (31 December 2011 - 12:50 PM) Happy New Years all!
Navid  : (26 December 2011 - 04:09 AM) Merry Christmas !!!!!! Happy holidays all :)
WAmadeus  : (24 December 2011 - 03:54 PM) Merry Christmas to all!
dfighter  : (24 December 2011 - 11:05 AM) The Arcemu team wishes y'all a Merry Christmukkah!
Hasbro  : (05 October 2011 - 12:53 PM) Looking for web designers for upcoming web related project. If you're interested in designing user interfaces contact me
dfighter  : (02 September 2011 - 03:47 PM) So who here wants vehicles in Arcemu? :P http://arcemu.org/fo...showtopic=25440
Hasbro  : (14 August 2011 - 03:25 PM) Join us on irc, grab an irc client and connect to irc.freenode.net join channel #arcemu /server irc.freenode.net:6667 /join #arcemu
jackpoz  : (03 August 2011 - 05:33 AM) to all Lua Engine (old one) users: please check http://arcemu.org/fo...showtopic=25274
Hasbro  : (20 May 2011 - 05:27 PM) Looking for people experienced with CMake configuration and setup! Contact me asap
Hasbro  : (15 May 2011 - 05:03 PM) ArcEmu is recruiting C++ programmers, contact Hasbro if interested.
paroxysm  : (03 May 2011 - 06:26 PM) Updated luabridge gossip example to describe the whole gossip creation process rather than just how to create menu. Gossip tutorial
paroxysm  : (23 April 2011 - 11:35 AM) Lua writers can refer to the Luabridge Tutorials section in the Wiki to learn how to write gossip code correctly.
Hasbro  : (20 April 2011 - 05:22 PM) Thank you for your continuous contribution of bug reports, we are working on them.
Hasbro  : (17 April 2011 - 03:20 AM) Please consider donating to support our bills. Donations can be sent using PayPal to donations@arcemu.org - Thank you for your support.
paroxysm  : (10 April 2011 - 12:43 AM) Refer to the Luabridge Tutorials section in the Wiki to learn the new syntax of luabridge.
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Updatemgr

#1 User is offline   Keldo 

  • Newbie
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 5
  • Joined: 17-June 11
  • IRC:Keldo
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Washington
  • Server OS:Linux

Posted 19 June 2011 - 10:20 AM

Hello,

I noticed, when I start world on *nix, it states, PatchMgr, no patches found.
I am wondering what this is, and how it's used?

Been looking to make a patch server for some time so my users dont have to patch from Blizz's Servers or some Mirror as Patches from 3.0.1 to ArcEmu Current is not available using the standard blizz downloader.


Thanks in advance,

Keldo
0

#2 User is offline   dfighter 

  • Titles are overrated
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • Posts: 5,189
  • Joined: 14-June 08
  • IRC:dfighter
  • Gender:Male
  • Server OS:Linux

Posted 19 June 2011 - 10:43 AM

Hi there it was intended for just this originally but I don't know if it works. I don't know if it ever has.
However if you know C++ you might dive into the code and find out and write documentation for it so all of us can find out!
"The demand for free goods is infinite."
0

#3 User is offline   Keldo 

  • Newbie
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 5
  • Joined: 17-June 11
  • IRC:Keldo
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Washington
  • Server OS:Linux

Posted 19 June 2011 - 11:37 AM

dfighter,

I dug into the Autopatch file and figured it out.
Created the ClientPatches folder and populated it.
I am installing WoW 3.0.1 on another laptop now and will test the patch functionality when it's done installing.

Stand by for updates.

BTW: I know a little C++, still learning as I go.


Keldo
0

#4 User is offline   dfighter 

  • Titles are overrated
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • Posts: 5,189
  • Joined: 14-June 08
  • IRC:dfighter
  • Gender:Male
  • Server OS:Linux

Posted 19 June 2011 - 11:47 AM

Sounds good!
"The demand for free goods is infinite."
0

#5 User is offline   Keldo 

  • Newbie
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 5
  • Joined: 17-June 11
  • IRC:Keldo
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Washington
  • Server OS:Linux

Posted 21 June 2011 - 12:35 PM

View Postdfighter, on 19 June 2011 - 11:47 AM, said:

Sounds good!


So far, no joy. Im not sure how blizzard sets up its updates, what files are needed, etc.
Going to try a few things and see how it goes.

After reading through a few tutorials, I am stuck.
Some say create an MPQ and have your users put it in their Data/enXX Folder, trouble is, I have no idea what to put in this MPQ. I know their are dbc's in some fo them but as far as patching goes, I am clueless.

If it has to do with an empty function in the AutoPatch script, then I would need help writing that since I am not all that well versed in C++. Give me a perl program and I can write it all day, C++, though much like perl, or vise versa, has me learning from step 1.

Would love to see this feature be operational in ArcEmu since most users on our servers HATE patching.

This is where I think the issue is in Autopatcher.cpp

PatchMgr::~PatchMgr()
{

}


Any takers?
0

#6 User is offline   Fasthio 

  • Member
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 39
  • Joined: 09-April 10
  • Gender:Male

Posted 21 June 2011 - 01:42 PM

That function isn't why it doesn't work in this case, leaving it empty is probably a source for some memoryleaks (though I'm not 100% sure since I only looked at the code briefly) but even if the function would've been completed it wouldn't have added any functionality.
You should read about constructors/destructors in C++.
0

#7 User is offline   Keldo 

  • Newbie
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 5
  • Joined: 17-June 11
  • IRC:Keldo
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Washington
  • Server OS:Linux

Posted 23 June 2011 - 02:47 PM

well, lesson learned. As I stated before, I am trying to get the Autopatch feature to work. No one seems to know how its done I guess including me. I was tol to create my own launcher, yes that would help with patching but I dont see the point of having my users download another launcher just to patch their client.

What I am trying to figure out is:

How the Launcher checks for updates
What the Launcher reads to check for updates
What files are needed on the server to interact with the clients launcher
how to get the server to allow the clients launcher to download the patch and patch the client.


The reason I am looking into this so deeply is simple.
Patching takes forever when done manually. Users don't like to wait around to install 20+ patches

It seems I will have to reverse engineer the launcher to find what I need
0

#8 User is offline   dfighter 

  • Titles are overrated
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • Posts: 5,189
  • Joined: 14-June 08
  • IRC:dfighter
  • Gender:Male
  • Server OS:Linux

Posted 23 June 2011 - 02:51 PM

View PostKeldo, on 23 June 2011 - 02:47 PM, said:

well, lesson learned. As I stated before, I am trying to get the Autopatch feature to work. No one seems to know how its done I guess including me. I was tol to create my own launcher, yes that would help with patching but I dont see the point of having my users download another launcher just to patch their client.

What I am trying to figure out is:

How the Launcher checks for updates
What the Launcher reads to check for updates
What files are needed on the server to interact with the clients launcher
how to get the server to allow the clients launcher to download the patch and patch the client.


The reason I am looking into this so deeply is simple.
Patching takes forever when done manually. Users don't like to wait around to install 20+ patches

It seems I will have to reverse engineer the launcher to find what I need

Well the wow launcher has nothing to do with this.
The wow launcher pulls a simple .txt file from a Blizzard web server ( for example http://goo.gl/4fCNQ ) that contains the patch's names , then it downloads the patch ( either from a web server or using bittorent ), and applies it.
Then it starts all over again until you are up to date.
So if you want to write your own launcher all you need is a web server with all the patches required and some file that contains which patch to download next.
"The demand for free goods is infinite."
0

#9 User is offline   Keldo 

  • Newbie
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 5
  • Joined: 17-June 11
  • IRC:Keldo
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Washington
  • Server OS:Linux

Posted 23 June 2011 - 05:45 PM

View Postdfighter, on 23 June 2011 - 02:51 PM, said:

Well the wow launcher has nothing to do with this.
The wow launcher pulls a simple .txt file from a Blizzard web server ( for example http://goo.gl/4fCNQ ) that contains the patch's names , then it downloads the patch ( either from a web server or using bittorent ), and applies it.
Then it starts all over again until you are up to date.
So if you want to write your own launcher all you need is a web server with all the patches required and some file that contains which patch to download next.


Launcher looks at a url to find PatchSequenceFile.txt, this file has all the version updates from 1.0 to current version.
I have this file on my server (web), thinking I should put it in the ClientPatches Directory. Also, I notice that when wow updates it put's wow-patch.MPQ in your wow folder, I have extracted this MPQ and found nothing pointing to how it updates. I guess my question is, should I have the actual patch or the downloader or both in the ClientPatches directory?

Not trying to be a pain in the azz here, just trying to figure this out so this feature works in ArcEmu.
0

#10 User is offline   dfighter 

  • Titles are overrated
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • Posts: 5,189
  • Joined: 14-June 08
  • IRC:dfighter
  • Gender:Male
  • Server OS:Linux

Posted 23 June 2011 - 06:04 PM

View PostKeldo, on 23 June 2011 - 05:45 PM, said:

Launcher looks at a url to find PatchSequenceFile.txt, this file has all the version updates from 1.0 to current version.
I have this file on my server (web), thinking I should put it in the ClientPatches Directory. Also, I notice that when wow updates it put's wow-patch.MPQ in your wow folder, I have extracted this MPQ and found nothing pointing to how it updates. I guess my question is, should I have the actual patch or the downloader or both in the ClientPatches directory?

Not trying to be a pain in the azz here, just trying to figure this out so this feature works in ArcEmu.

I've told you already that I have no idea how to make it work, so no idea why you keep asking me ^^
Also I think you are mixing up two things, both the client and the launcher can do patching, however I think the client only downloads the patch downloader and then forces the launcher to install it, so you might better be off with the custom launcher approach that pulls the next patch from a simple web server and then applies it. :(
"The demand for free goods is infinite."
0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users