ArcEmu: Available Names - ArcEmu

Toggle shoutbox Lastest Announcements

dfighter  : (07 December 2014 - 12:06 PM) Arcemu is in hibernation mode, please read http://arcemu.org/fo...showtopic=26903
dfighter  : (01 January 2013 - 05:56 PM) Arcemu wishes you all a happy new year!
Hasbro  : (12 September 2012 - 10:01 AM) Please excuse our outage from the web! Our web host had a major malfunction!
dfighter  : (01 September 2012 - 04:05 PM) Since the spam bots just don't want to stop, I've enabled admin verification when registering.
dfighter  : (23 January 2012 - 09:56 PM) Please note that from now on you will need to confirm your email on the wiki in order to edit it!
Hasbro  : (31 December 2011 - 12:50 PM) Happy New Years all!
Navid  : (26 December 2011 - 04:09 AM) Merry Christmas !!!!!! Happy holidays all :)
WAmadeus  : (24 December 2011 - 03:54 PM) Merry Christmas to all!
dfighter  : (24 December 2011 - 11:05 AM) The Arcemu team wishes y'all a Merry Christmukkah!
Hasbro  : (05 October 2011 - 12:53 PM) Looking for web designers for upcoming web related project. If you're interested in designing user interfaces contact me
dfighter  : (02 September 2011 - 03:47 PM) So who here wants vehicles in Arcemu? :P http://arcemu.org/fo...showtopic=25440
Hasbro  : (14 August 2011 - 03:25 PM) Join us on irc, grab an irc client and connect to irc.freenode.net join channel #arcemu /server irc.freenode.net:6667 /join #arcemu
jackpoz  : (03 August 2011 - 05:33 AM) to all Lua Engine (old one) users: please check http://arcemu.org/fo...showtopic=25274
Hasbro  : (20 May 2011 - 05:27 PM) Looking for people experienced with CMake configuration and setup! Contact me asap
Hasbro  : (15 May 2011 - 05:03 PM) ArcEmu is recruiting C++ programmers, contact Hasbro if interested.
paroxysm  : (03 May 2011 - 06:26 PM) Updated luabridge gossip example to describe the whole gossip creation process rather than just how to create menu. Gossip tutorial
paroxysm  : (23 April 2011 - 11:35 AM) Lua writers can refer to the Luabridge Tutorials section in the Wiki to learn how to write gossip code correctly.
Hasbro  : (20 April 2011 - 05:22 PM) Thank you for your continuous contribution of bug reports, we are working on them.
Hasbro  : (17 April 2011 - 03:20 AM) Please consider donating to support our bills. Donations can be sent using PayPal to donations@arcemu.org - Thank you for your support.
paroxysm  : (10 April 2011 - 12:43 AM) Refer to the Luabridge Tutorials section in the Wiki to learn the new syntax of luabridge.
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Available Names Found an unavailable name in my platform

#1 User is offline   teang 

• Group: Members

Posted 12 September 2010 - 07:51 PM

When I try to name a character "DarthVader" I get a response that the name is not available. I was thinking this was because of entries in the banned_names table in the character database, but that table is empty. When I add a name to that table, the message is different anyway, something about mature language.

I don't have any characters in my database with the Dark Lord's name, and I haven't been able to see it in the code, or debug it in the characterhandler. Or even the string "That name is unavailable".

Can someone confirm what I'm seeing and maybe provide guidance?

#2 User is offline   iEzri 

• < Ace of spades >
  • Group: Contributor
  • Interests:I'm likely to cause mischief
  • Server OS:Linux

Posted 12 September 2010 - 08:05 PM

Some names are just not allowed so you can sadly not have t3h 133735+ n4m3 p055ibl3.

It could be that:
- the Name is too long
- the name contains illegal phrases (even if it may not actually contain profanity at all)
- Includes an NPC name
- That said, there are plenty of bizarre situations.

If it were otherwise, betcha i'd get my old name back... ;(
Posted Image I do not join. I lead.

#3 User is offline   dfighter 

• Titles are overrated
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • IRC:dfighter

Posted 12 September 2010 - 08:14 PM

View Postteang, on 12 September 2010 - 07:51 PM, said:

When I try to name a character "DarthVader" I get a response that the name is not available. I was thinking this was because of entries in the banned_names table in the character database, but that table is empty. When I add a name to that table, the message is different anyway, something about mature language.

I don't have any characters in my database with the Dark Lord's name, and I haven't been able to see it in the code, or debug it in the characterhandler. Or even the string "That name is unavailable".

It's checked against the regexps in one of the dbc files both on client and server-side. The reasons include the ones listed by our dark princess (iEzri).
I think I will pin this topic.
"The demand for free goods is infinite."

#4 User is offline   jackpoz 

• ArcEmu Lemon Priest
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Developers
  • Server OS:Windows

Posted 12 September 2010 - 08:32 PM

There's a nice string in the sources with all the banned chars, too. < to be filled with that string >
Posted Image We develop dreams. Your dreams ;)
Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 User is offline   Ogchaos 

• Interested
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 September 2010 - 03:39 AM

Try this

- Go in-game and make the character you want to be named DarthVader. and name it "Anything" at first.
- Then do:

.char rename Anything DarthVader

Relog and it will work perfectly.

#6 User is offline   iEzri 

• < Ace of spades >

Posted 13 September 2010 - 05:15 AM

View PostOgchaos, on 13 September 2010 - 03:39 AM, said:

.char rename Anything DarthVader

naughty! ;)

and i thought this would get to be about freaky numbers....

DA C9 C0 1F C6 04 68 79 75 69 00 0B 01 01 05 03 0A 02 02 00
D9 AF AD 86 5C D3 70 61 6C 69 00 0B 02 01 06 03 09 06 00 00
50 F6 2F BD 21 2A 68 75 70 69 00 0B 01 00 04 01 03 06 06 00

#7 User is offline   lesone 

• Enthusiast
  • Group: Retired
  • Interests:Programming--

Posted 13 September 2010 - 05:37 AM

String core modification.

BTW, if you know a bit about World of Warcraft you should know that it's impossible to have spaces in names ;)
Posted Image

#8 User is offline   jackpoz 

• ArcEmu Lemon Priest

Posted 13 September 2010 - 05:51 AM

Or even the string "That name is unavailable".

You didn't find the string because it's not a string, it's an opcode ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opcode ) sent to the client, which knows what to show on the screen according to the received opcode. In this particular case the server doesn't even get the request of creating a character because (as dfighter said) it's checked client-side first and then server-side.

About banned/allowed chars:
http://arcemu.info/t...cterHandler.cpp lines 29 and 30
static const char * bannedCharacters = "\t\v\b\f\a\n\r\\\"\'\? <>[](){}_=+-|/!@#$%^&*~`.,0123456789\0";
static const char * allowedCharacters = "abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ";

Enjoy ;)
Posted ImagePosted Image

#9 User is offline   Garvey 

• is a cool guy
  • Group: Super Moderator

Posted 13 September 2010 - 01:31 PM

You can also edit the name in the DB too... jus' sayin...
But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

#10 User is offline   iEzri 

• < Ace of spades >

Posted 13 September 2010 - 04:54 PM

View PostSaintJamesApostle, on 13 September 2010 - 05:51 AM, said:

(as dfighter said)

http://www.madx.dk/w...p?title=Packets :)

btw. is this even still accurate? is it a good sign i don't know anymore? :P

#11 User is offline   jackpoz 

• ArcEmu Lemon Priest

Posted 13 September 2010 - 05:15 PM

It will be Janitored and then probably posted on the wiki. Obviously the Developers and Technical-related staff of ArcEmu will need to know them off the top of the head, this will be checked by an Administrator at the end of the month most likely. Better start studying :)
Posted ImagePosted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users