ArcEmu: [lua] Mega Scripting Guide - ArcEmu

Toggle shoutbox Lastest Announcements

dfighter  : (07 December 2014 - 12:06 PM) Arcemu is in hibernation mode, please read http://arcemu.org/fo...showtopic=26903
dfighter  : (01 January 2013 - 05:56 PM) Arcemu wishes you all a happy new year!
Hasbro  : (12 September 2012 - 10:01 AM) Please excuse our outage from the web! Our web host had a major malfunction!
dfighter  : (01 September 2012 - 04:05 PM) Since the spam bots just don't want to stop, I've enabled admin verification when registering.
dfighter  : (23 January 2012 - 09:56 PM) Please note that from now on you will need to confirm your email on the wiki in order to edit it!
Hasbro  : (31 December 2011 - 12:50 PM) Happy New Years all!
Navid  : (26 December 2011 - 04:09 AM) Merry Christmas !!!!!! Happy holidays all :)
WAmadeus  : (24 December 2011 - 03:54 PM) Merry Christmas to all!
dfighter  : (24 December 2011 - 11:05 AM) The Arcemu team wishes y'all a Merry Christmukkah!
Hasbro  : (05 October 2011 - 12:53 PM) Looking for web designers for upcoming web related project. If you're interested in designing user interfaces contact me
dfighter  : (02 September 2011 - 03:47 PM) So who here wants vehicles in Arcemu? :P http://arcemu.org/fo...showtopic=25440
Hasbro  : (14 August 2011 - 03:25 PM) Join us on irc, grab an irc client and connect to irc.freenode.net join channel #arcemu /server irc.freenode.net:6667 /join #arcemu
jackpoz  : (03 August 2011 - 05:33 AM) to all Lua Engine (old one) users: please check http://arcemu.org/fo...showtopic=25274
Hasbro  : (20 May 2011 - 05:27 PM) Looking for people experienced with CMake configuration and setup! Contact me asap
Hasbro  : (15 May 2011 - 05:03 PM) ArcEmu is recruiting C++ programmers, contact Hasbro if interested.
paroxysm  : (03 May 2011 - 06:26 PM) Updated luabridge gossip example to describe the whole gossip creation process rather than just how to create menu. Gossip tutorial
paroxysm  : (23 April 2011 - 11:35 AM) Lua writers can refer to the Luabridge Tutorials section in the Wiki to learn how to write gossip code correctly.
Hasbro  : (20 April 2011 - 05:22 PM) Thank you for your continuous contribution of bug reports, we are working on them.
Hasbro  : (17 April 2011 - 03:20 AM) Please consider donating to support our bills. Donations can be sent using PayPal to donations@arcemu.org - Thank you for your support.
paroxysm  : (10 April 2011 - 12:43 AM) Refer to the Luabridge Tutorials section in the Wiki to learn the new syntax of luabridge.
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

[lua] Mega Scripting Guide

#1 User is offline   SalMAX 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 17 July 2010 - 04:21 PM

Hello ArcEmu Members.

Today I want to show all the members of ArcEmu How I script my Bosses. Okay When I script I take my time and I don't rush, there is nothing worse then a script that has 45+ Errors. It's better to spend 4 hours making a Lua Script and it work on the first entry, then spend 40 minutes making a Lua script and it not work at all.

You will need a few requirements in order to start Scripting Lua. Remember Lua Scripting is like everything else, hard to start with but after 20 minutes or so you'll Understand. Well Not all the time.

By defining your locals outside the functions they will always be overwritten if you spawn more than one of said mob.

� Notepad ++ http://notepad-plus-plus.org/download
� Basic Knowledge of Lua Functions http://wow-v.com/for...hp?topic=7913.0
� Some time on you're hands
� Some Sort of Testing Server

�1.1 - Beginning the Script
-------------------------
There are many ways to script a boss or mob. Everyone has that unique way of making their scripts. Some say my Lua Style is the hardest, Some say it's the easiest. I don't care as long as they work that's all I'm worried about.

So we will start out with a few things.

local NAME = "Elite Boss"- This is the local NPC name of the boss you are scripting.
local NPCID = 1000001- This is the local NPC ID of the Boss you are Scripting.

Next You will want to start the "function Elite_OnCombat", when you script this, this is telling the Boss or Mob what it will do when it comes in contact or In Combat with a Player.

function Elite_OnCombat(pUnit, event, player)[COLOR="Green"]---- Tell The Boss or Mob what they will do on_combat
 Elite=pUnit----- This is a replacement for pUnit, So instead of saying pUnit every time you can Say Elite.
 pUnit:SendChatMessage(12, 0, "Hello")---- This Is what the Npc Will Say when He comes in combat with a player.
end --- This Is ending the Function. So Basically completing it

So Let's do a review of what we have learned so far. If you followed the Tutorial the right way you should of came up with something that looks like this.
local NAME = "Elite Boss"
local NPCID = 1000001

function Elite_OnCombat(pUnit, event, player)
 Elite=pUnit
 pUnit:SendChatMessage(12, 0, "Hello")
end[/COLOR]

Congratulations, You have just scripted you're very first function. So Now We are gonna Add this after your On_Combat Function. You can use On_KilledTarget, But I find it useless and a way to spam your server. Your Choice
RegisterUnitEvent(1000001, 1, "Elite_OnCombat")[/COLOR] --- This is Registering the Function_OnCombat and will trigger when the boss comes in combat.

Okay So Now We are going to add 2 more functions to your script. So Make a space right after your end in Function_OnCombat, and start this.
function Elite_OnLeaveCombat(pUnit, event, player)--- This is making it so when the boss leaves combat he will say something or cast something. We will learn how to cast something later in this Tutorial.pUnit:RemoveEvents()---- This Removes any events that are left on the boss after he/she leaves combat(Such as Spells, Buffs, etc...)
 pUnit:SendChatMessage(14, 0, "Bye")---- This Is what the Npc Will Say when He comes in combat with a player.
end---- Ends the Function

Next we will use this.
function Elite_OnDeath(pUnit, event, player)---- What Will happen when the boss is killed.
pUnit:RemoveEvents()---- This Removes any events that are left on the boss after he/she leaves combat(Such as Spells, Buffs, etc...)
end---- Ends the Function

Okay So We will review our Script One more time before we start the next step and this is what you should have, or something close to this.
local NPCID = 1000001

Elite=pUnit
end

function Elite_OnLeaveCombat(pUnit, event, player)
 pUnit:RemoveEvents() 
 pUnit:SendChatMessage(14, 0, "Bye")
end

function Elite_OnDeath(pUnit, event, player)
end

RegisterUnitEvent(1000001, 1, "Elite_OnCombat")

Now We Put Our Very last RegisterUnitEvents In to Complete the first Part of our Script.

RegisterUnitEvent(1000001, 1, "Elite_OnCombat")---- Registers OnCombat Function[
RegisterUnitEvent(1000001, 2, "Elite_OnLeaveCombat")---- Registers OnLeaveCombat Function
RegisterUnitEvent(1000001, 4, "Elite_OnDeath")---- Registers OnDeath Function

�1.2 - Creating Phases
-------------------------------
Okay Step 1.2 In this step I will be teaching you all how to create phases. Phases are kinda like functions but they are can be triggered after the
"function Elite_OnCombat" Is Made

So Lets Start Making Our very First phase. If you look in the Script below I added the Phase right before I did end.

local NPCID = 1000001

Elite=pUnit
 pUnit:RegisterEvent("Elite_Phase1", 1000, 1) ----- Here is the Very First Phase.
end

end

end

RegisterUnitEvent(1000001, 2, "Elite_OnLeaveCombat")
RegisterUnitEvent(1000001, 4, "Elite_OnDeath")

Now let me explain the phase. The number "1000"is the time in milliseconds you want the phase to trigger after he is in combat. The Number"1" is telling the script that you want that phase to only trigger once in the entire script.

So Lets Start making our Phase1 function. This is really easy all you are doing is the same thing as the First functions but just a few more things to. (Remember add you're own spells and etc Mine is just a example. Some of the ID's aren't spells.)

function Elite_Phase1(pUnit, event, player)
 if Elite:GetHealthPct() == 85 then --- This Means that when the boss reaches 85% Health this Phase will be triggered.
 Elite:SendChatMessage(12, 0, "I see that you want a true battle")
 Elite:CastSpell(52262)--- This Means That the boss will cast this spell on itself.
Elite:RegisterEvent("Elite_Phase2", 1000, 1)
end---- End The Function
end---- This Is Important because you have to put 2 ends because one end, ends the function the other one ends the"if Elite:GetHealthPct() == 85 then"

So Far you should have this, If you don't try to reread the Tutorial to see if you missed something.
local NPCID = 1000001

Elite=pUnit
 pUnit:RegisterEvent("Elite_Phase1", 1000, 1)[/color] ----- Here is the Very First Phase.
end

end

end

if Elite:GetHealthPct() == 85 then 
 Elite:CastSpell(52262)
end 
end

So Now that we have our very first phase I am going to start making our Second phase. If you look in the first phase before I did "end" I put "Elite:RegisterEvent("Elite_Phase2", 1000, 1)". That Made it so I can start my second phase. Remember when you want have another phase you always have to Register it in the phase before.

So Here is my second phase.
function Elite_Phase2(pUnit, event, player)
 if Elite:GetHealthPct() == 65 then 
 Elite:SendChatMessage(14, 0, "This Is Impossible I am Not Killable, NOW DIE!")
 Elite:SetScale(2) --- This is Setting the scale from 1 to 2
 Elite:SetModel(24345) --- This is Changing the Display of the Boss to another.
 Elite:CastSpell(24705)
 Elite:CastSpell(20230)
end 
end

Final Script and What it Should Look like

local NPCID = 1000001

Elite=pUnit
 pUnit:RegisterEvent("Elite_Phase1", 1000, 1) ----- Here is the Very First Phase.
end

end

end

end 
end

end 
end

Congratulations, You made your first Script with Phases. Now I know this Tutorial isn't Long but I tried to Make it easy but then again explained what I knew. So If this guide Helped you then Please leave a thanks or something. I Hope your future scripts are a success.

Hello There ArcEmu Members,

This is SalMAX(Dimarxx) Once again with another Tutorial Here. Today I am going to show those that don't know how to Make an Item In-Game. Well I know Everyone knows how to make an item and Export it to The World DB. But this Was wanted by a couple of people on my Staff and some of my friends on the forums.

This is very easy to do and If you have Knownledge with WoW-Vendetta then you will have no problem with making this item.

1.0 - Introduction to Creating Items.
-------------------------------------------

Okay So Making Items is the easiest thing you will learn while being on a WoW Private Server or Any Type of private server. But Some do have a problem with making some of there items a little bit OP(Overpowered). So when making Items that are Custom you always go by guidelines, I bet if you do this you will save yourself a ton of trouble with rude and unwanted comments. So lets start going over some of the these Guidelines.

1. Always Make your items look Professional.
2. Don't Use Stats Like I.E(1000000 Armor, 2454330 Stamina) If you Do You are straight out asking for rude comments.
3. Learn Constructive Crictisim.
4. Always Have a Percentage of what you want to go by, By this I mean like Going up 15% stats of what Blizzard Has.
5. Have Respect, Take Advice. Sometimes Advice can help you tons.

1.1 - Basics of Item Creating
--------------------------------------------

The Basics Of making Items, When someone asks you this you have to think hard. What are the basics of making Items and what would you need to know to make an item that will give you reputation. So lets go over the basic Item Creating Rules.

1. Go to WoW-V
1a. Here you Can Create an Account to Create NPC's, Quest's, Items, Armor and Etc.
1b. Learn How to Search for Display ID's
2. Asking Questions Can Help alot.
2a. Always Use websites like WoWHead, or Thottbot.
2b. If You have trouble check FQA's before Posting. Saves you trouble and the person that has to close it trouble.
3. Once again Be Respectful!

1.2 Creating an Item
------------------------
So We are gonna start making our weapon. So Lets go to that website that I linked in the last Lesson. So we Can Start.

1. Go to WoW-V
2. Click "Create" At the Top Navigation Bar.
3. Find "Book Creator".
4. Go to WoWHead
5. Find a Decent Book Display ID.

Okay this step is Hard but for others very very easy. When you are making a book you have to think outside of the brains of the Blizzard Developers. Making a Book means when defining pages, Don't make the page lik I.E. (Page 1, Page 2, Page3, etc....) Use Numbers such as 1000045 or 99999902. If you do this I bet you will have no errors in your book.

I know this Guide is Sh*t, but I made it for those that are new to WoW private Servers and being a GameMaster. If this Helped then You are Welcome, and If it didn't then I guess Your Not welcome. Well I hope some of you enjoy this Guide and Use it well.

Sincerely
.SalMAX(Dimarxx)

This post has been edited by jackpoz: 18 July 2010 - 12:44 PM
Reason for edit: less advertising kthx

Posted Image
Knowledgeable Lua Scripter/C++ Beginner

#2 User is offline   kjanko 

• Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 July 2010 - 06:11 PM

Elite=pUnit

Variable collision ftw.
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   Shadoxfix 

• Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 July 2010 - 04:03 AM

I'm a little bit concerned about this part.
end 
end

If the boss has 65% of his health.
He will say "This Is Impossible I am Not Killable, NOW DIE!"
He gets 2 times bigger.
He changes his model id.
And he will cast 3 spells at one time?
Wut?
3 spells at one time?

--edit
Also concerned about this part.
local NPCID = 1000001

Elite=pUnit
 pUnit:RegisterEvent("Elite_Phase1", 1000, 1)[/color] ----- Here is the Very First Phase.
end

end

end

end 
end

The boss enters combat.
He says "Hello".
And he goes to phase 1.
However phase 1 will only run if he got 85% of his health.
No raid is going to get him in a few seconds to 85%.
If he isn't exactly 85% (yes exactly) phase 1 will not run.
So phase 2 will also never run.
So that means your script stops running.

--edit
Even more criticism.
I know this Guide is Sh*t, but I made it for those that are new to WoW private Servers and being a GameMaster. If this Helped then You are Welcome, and If it didn't then I guess Your Not welcome. Well I hope some of you enjoy this Guide and Use it well.

Why make it if it's ****.
There are plenty of tutorials let them read there instead of this "****" guide.

Also don't use annoying colors.

#4 User is offline   SalMAX 

• Pip

Posted 18 July 2010 - 04:15 AM

View PostShadoxfix, on 18 July 2010 - 04:03 AM, said:

I'm a little bit concerned about this part.
end 
end

If the boss has 65% of his health.
He will say "This Is Impossible I am Not Killable, NOW DIE!"
He gets 2 times bigger.
He changes his model id.
And he will cast 3 spells at one time?
Wut?
3 spells at one time?

--edit
Also concerned about this part.
local NPCID = 1000001

Elite=pUnit
end

end

end

end 
end

The boss enters combat.
He says "Hello".
And he goes to phase 1.
However phase 1 will only run if he got 85% of his health.
No raid is going to get him in a few seconds to 85%.
If he isn't exactly 85% (yes exactly) phase 1 will not run.
So phase 2 will also never run.
So that means your script stops running.

Okay about this first part.
pUnit:CastSpell()

If you have been scripting LUA you would of know that this means he is casting a spell on himself not on a player. So this means his casting 3 Buffs in this phase. If you want the Mob or Boss to attack a player, well cast a spell on the target then you would do.

pUnit:RegisterEvent("Boss_SpellName", 2000, 0)

Then after this you would make a function telling the boss that he will cast the spell on the target. Target meaning GetMainTank, GetMainHealer, GetRandomPlayer. So You are wrong about the Cast Spell.

Now the Collision Part.

When you said Elite=pUnit, This is substituting Elite for pUnit, So it would cause Collision's if the Scripter knew that he didn't have to use the locals.

Meaning
local NAME = "NAME"
local NPCID = ID
local ITEMID = ID

Or More. This is a Guide for those that wanted to see how to get the hang of Scripting Phases Plus this is an old guide I have gotten passed the Collision part in my scripting knowledge so Please, think about what you are going to say before you say it.
Posted Image

#5 User is offline   Shadoxfix 

• Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 July 2010 - 04:39 AM

View PostSalMAX, on 18 July 2010 - 04:15 AM, said:

Okay about this first part.
pUnit:CastSpell()

If you have been scripting LUA you would of know that this means he is casting a spell on himself not on a player. So this means his casting 3 Buffs in this phase. If you want the Mob or Boss to attack a player, well cast a spell on the target then you would do.

pUnit:RegisterEvent("Boss_SpellName", 2000, 0)

Then after this you would make a function telling the boss that he will cast the spell on the target. Target meaning GetMainTank, GetMainHealer, GetRandomPlayer. So You are wrong about the Cast Spell.

Now the Collision Part.

When you said Elite=pUnit, This is substituting Elite for pUnit, So it would cause Collision's if the Scripter knew that he didn't have to use the locals.

Meaning
local NAME = "NAME"
local NPCID = ID
local ITEMID = ID

Or More. This is a Guide for those that wanted to see how to get the hang of Scripting Phases Plus this is an old guide I have gotten passed the Collision part in my scripting knowledge so Please, think about what you are going to say before you say it.

@ first part answer.
You're correct.

@ collision part.
I didn't say that that was kjanko.

#6 User is offline   SalMAX 

• Pip

Posted 18 July 2010 - 04:42 AM

I know it was Kjanko, I was just answering both in one post.

So Ya Was blaming you friend.
Posted Image

#7 User is offline   SalMAX 

• Pip

Posted 18 July 2010 - 07:53 AM

Ahhh it's Ezri. The Gibberish Generator.

You posting must say that I speak good Gibberish.
Posted Image

#8 User is offline   iEzri 

• < Ace of spades >
  • Group: Contributor
  • Interests:I'm likely to cause mischief
  • Server OS:Linux

Posted 18 July 2010 - 08:06 AM

View PostSalMAX, on 18 July 2010 - 07:53 AM, said:

Ahhh it's Ezri.

/grabs the escape plan
Posted Image I do not join. I lead.

#9 User is offline   SalMAX 

• Pip

Posted 18 July 2010 - 09:25 AM

So Ezri, Why would you steal my escape plans? That's not nice, and I will now forever be stuck in the world of ArcEmu. Lmao.
Posted Image

#10 User is offline   Shadoxfix 

• Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 July 2010 - 09:30 AM

View PostSalMAX, on 18 July 2010 - 09:25 AM, said:

So Ezri, Why would you steal my escape plans? That's not nice, and I will now forever be stuck in the world of ArcEmu. Lmao.

Unless it crashes.

#11 User is offline   Darren 

• Occasional Poster
  • PipPip

Posted 18 July 2010 - 12:44 PM

Jesus christ help me.
Right.
Lua*
Elite=pUnit - no
Elite:RegisterEvent("Elite_Phase2", 1000, 1) - no
pUnit:RegisterEvent("Elite_Phase1", 1000, 1) ----- Here is the Very First Phase. -no

#12 User is offline   SalMAX 

• Pip

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:42 AM

View PostDarren, on 18 July 2010 - 12:44 PM, said:

Jesus christ help me.
Right.
Lua*
Elite=pUnit - no
pUnit:RegisterEvent("Elite_Phase1", 1000, 1) ----- Here is the Very First Phase. -no

Darren You are Completely wrong about the
Elite=pUnit
. Everything in this tutorial has worked before and it still does. If you are trying to say that my scripts will never work and will only collide then you are mistaken. Please Don't make comments that are useless.
Posted Image

#13 User is offline   Darren 

• Occasional Poster
  • PipPip

Posted 20 July 2010 - 05:21 PM

pUnit:RegisterEvent("Elite_Phase1", 1000, 1)

will only run the phase once
if the mob is not under the hp needed it will never run.
My comments are not useless, you just interpret them as useless as you do not possess to skill to teach others much less write a tutorial.

#14 User is offline   iEzri 

• < Ace of spades >

Posted 20 July 2010 - 05:48 PM

View PostDarren, on 20 July 2010 - 05:21 PM, said:

as you do not possess to skill to teach others much less write a tutorial.

yay, i am sooo waiting for darrens tutorial which is coming up any minute now i take it?

lol

#15 User is offline   SalMAX 

• Pip

Posted 20 July 2010 - 05:56 PM

Man Ac-Web and ArcEmu are completely the same. lol

Well.. meaning that their power users are douches.

I don't Care, flame my post.
Posted Image

#16 User is offline   iEzri 

• < Ace of spades >

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:14 PM

View PostSalMAX, on 20 July 2010 - 05:56 PM, said:

Man Ac-Web and ArcEmu are completely the same. lol

Well.. meaning that their power users are douches.

I don't Care, flame my post.

1st: wtf
2nd: wtf!?
3rd: i beg to differ
4th: wtf. if you didnt get i was like taking you into protection there from te big dolls then obviously i was misguided in my belief you actually could be of value here. but it seems you are not... so.. why were you here again?

anyway, someone who introduces himself with "experienced lua coder" definately must be a ******, so its quit pro quo ?

lol you people are hilarious at times.. ^^

edit: now i know again, you wanted to prove yourself to arcemu by fixing my script. how are you doing with that ?

#17 User is offline   jackpoz 

• ArcEmu Lemon Priest
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Developers
  • Server OS:Windows

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:43 PM

I'll reopen this topic once our users will learn to accept critics about their work, critics that are NOT referring to the person but just to his work. Everyones make mistakes, i usually thank who spots them ;)
Posted Image We develop dreams. Your dreams ;)
Posted ImagePosted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users