ArcEmu: [Tutorial] How to begin creating a database - ArcEmu

Toggle shoutbox Lastest Announcements

dfighter  : (07 December 2014 - 12:06 PM) Arcemu is in hibernation mode, please read http://arcemu.org/fo...showtopic=26903
dfighter  : (01 January 2013 - 05:56 PM) Arcemu wishes you all a happy new year!
Hasbro  : (12 September 2012 - 10:01 AM) Please excuse our outage from the web! Our web host had a major malfunction!
dfighter  : (01 September 2012 - 04:05 PM) Since the spam bots just don't want to stop, I've enabled admin verification when registering.
dfighter  : (23 January 2012 - 09:56 PM) Please note that from now on you will need to confirm your email on the wiki in order to edit it!
Hasbro  : (31 December 2011 - 12:50 PM) Happy New Years all!
Navid  : (26 December 2011 - 04:09 AM) Merry Christmas !!!!!! Happy holidays all :)
WAmadeus  : (24 December 2011 - 03:54 PM) Merry Christmas to all!
dfighter  : (24 December 2011 - 11:05 AM) The Arcemu team wishes y'all a Merry Christmukkah!
Hasbro  : (05 October 2011 - 12:53 PM) Looking for web designers for upcoming web related project. If you're interested in designing user interfaces contact me
dfighter  : (02 September 2011 - 03:47 PM) So who here wants vehicles in Arcemu? :P http://arcemu.org/fo...showtopic=25440
Hasbro  : (14 August 2011 - 03:25 PM) Join us on irc, grab an irc client and connect to irc.freenode.net join channel #arcemu /server irc.freenode.net:6667 /join #arcemu
jackpoz  : (03 August 2011 - 05:33 AM) to all Lua Engine (old one) users: please check http://arcemu.org/fo...showtopic=25274
Hasbro  : (20 May 2011 - 05:27 PM) Looking for people experienced with CMake configuration and setup! Contact me asap
Hasbro  : (15 May 2011 - 05:03 PM) ArcEmu is recruiting C++ programmers, contact Hasbro if interested.
paroxysm  : (03 May 2011 - 06:26 PM) Updated luabridge gossip example to describe the whole gossip creation process rather than just how to create menu. Gossip tutorial
paroxysm  : (23 April 2011 - 11:35 AM) Lua writers can refer to the Luabridge Tutorials section in the Wiki to learn how to write gossip code correctly.
Hasbro  : (20 April 2011 - 05:22 PM) Thank you for your continuous contribution of bug reports, we are working on them.
Hasbro  : (17 April 2011 - 03:20 AM) Please consider donating to support our bills. Donations can be sent using PayPal to donations@arcemu.org - Thank you for your support.
paroxysm  : (10 April 2011 - 12:43 AM) Refer to the Luabridge Tutorials section in the Wiki to learn the new syntax of luabridge.
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[Tutorial] How to begin creating a database

#1 User is offline   aly 

• Occasional Poster
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 14 September 2009 - 08:16 AM

How to create a Database

The easy way to start
(This way is for learners, and is not intended to making the actual thing.)

First of all you need to have a basic understanding of the SQL synthax and how ArcEmu tables work.For this you can visit W3Schools and the ArcEmu Wiki.

Second you need to have an empty database which you can get from the SVN in C:\ArcEmu\Trunk\sql\xxxx_World_Structure.sql (xxxx - Revision number) which you will need to slowly fill with all the data that is needed.

The next step is to know how to add items to a database and make sure the items are blizzlike. I would recomend learning how to use the INSERT INTO items synthax but there is an easier way to do it and this is using an item grabber like the one created by Rofni: DOWNLOAD

INSERT INTO Example:

INSERT INTO items VALUES ('100','4','1','-1','Deprecated Dwarven Squire\'s Pants','372','0','16','0','1','4','7','-1','-1','1','1','0','0','0','0','0','0','0','0','1','0','0','0','0','0','0','0','0','0','0','0','0','0','0','0','0','0','0','0','0','0','0','0','0','0','0','0','0','0','0','2','0','0','0','0','0','0','0','0','100','0','0','0','0','0','0','0','0','0','0','0','0','0','0','0','0','0','0','0','0','0','0','0','0','0','0','0','0','0','0','0','','0','0','0','0','0','7','0','0','0','0','0','25','0','0','0','0','0','0','0','0','0','0','0','0','-1','0','0','0','0')

If you want to use this method you will need to write that code in a Text Editor such as Notepad but i suggest you use Notepad ++ because you can sellect the language and highlight the code. After you write the code you can save it in a SQL file (*.sql) and execute the query to your database.

Each number coresponds to a column in the table. For more reference use the Wiki.

This is the easy way to start learning how to create a database. After you think you got the hang of it and think you can handle big amounts of data using the INSERT INTO synthax you are ready to go to the harder ways of inserting data in to the database and in other tables too.

The serious way

In this section you will need to know how to use Microsoft Works (WDB - Works Database).

What is a WDB file?

WDB files are transferred during playing on a World of Warcraft server and are stored inside the WDB
folder. Using this caching strategy helps Blizzard to reduce the network traffic.
The WoW Client contains the whole world, but no quests, npcs or mobs. These
infos is transferred from the server to the client. And the client caches these
infos.

So if you want to get data from these files you will need to copy paste them into another folder (JUST COPY-PASTE! DO NOT USE CUT-PASTE)because they will be deleted once you exit the game.

After you copied them you can now open them using Microsoft Works and extract your data.

This thread will be updated with a more complete reference and SCREN SHOTS!
http://if-db.org/ - Probably the best ArcEmu Database.

#2 User is offline   dfighter 

• Titles are overrated
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • IRC:dfighter
  • Server OS:Linux

Posted 14 September 2009 - 09:26 AM

ROFL that's all I can say.
"The demand for free goods is infinite."

#3 User is offline   alleycat 

• Helps so much & is so mature & gay
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 September 2009 - 09:38 AM

rofl
I can haz cookie?

#4 User is offline   aly 

• Occasional Poster
  • PipPip

Posted 14 September 2009 - 09:50 AM

it's not done for gods sake ...... i can't get my other things going which compose the main part of the tutorial ...

+ i made this thread just to have what to point too when you have a thread like this one: http://arcemu.org/fo...showtopic=18098

#5 User is offline   dfighter 

• Titles are overrated
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • IRC:dfighter
  • Server OS:Linux

Posted 14 September 2009 - 10:42 AM

View Postaly, on 14 September 2009 - 09:50 AM, said:

it's not done for gods sake ...... i can't get my other things going which compose the main part of the tutorial ...

+ i made this thread just to have what to point too when you have a thread like this one: http://arcemu.org/fo...showtopic=18098

I'm sure it would be helpful if it was right.
Altough there are a lot more to databases than what you can extract from the wdb files. :)
"The demand for free goods is infinite."

#6 User is offline   aly 

• Occasional Poster
  • PipPip

Posted 14 September 2009 - 11:08 AM

View Postdfighter, on 14 September 2009 - 10:42 AM, said:

I'm sure it would be helpful if it was right.
Altough there are a lot more to databases than what you can extract from the wdb files. :)

i know :) but i need to do it in parts because i only know with item extractor ... and from wdb atm :( so i need to learn the other ways or at least re learn ..

i hope this will become usefull when it's done ...

#7 User is offline   Navid 

• Persian Prance of ArcEmu
  • Group: Super Moderator
  • IRC:Lurker-
  • Interests:PHP,C++,ArcEmu and exactly our lovely community and specially money xD
  • Server OS:Windows

Posted 15 September 2009 - 02:34 AM

B)
I'm here to check,lurk and kill you so behave or you will be lurked

Posted Image

#8 User is offline   aly 

• Occasional Poster
  • PipPip

Posted 15 September 2009 - 08:20 AM

eh you know what just remove this topic ...

everyone thinks its useless, but if you want this emulator to become better you need tutorials for even the smallest things ... that way you can get more devs, databases that are more and more blizzlike ... and better scripts ...

eh nvm ... just remove it ..

#9 User is offline   Ashberry 

• Pip
  • Interests:rofni's girlfriend (and his coding talents)

Posted 15 September 2009 - 08:26 AM

Why don't you wait until you know how to do everything involved before doing tutorials in pieces? You'll just end up with people asking what to do next all the time, Otherwise.

#10 User is offline   aly 

• Occasional Poster
  • PipPip

Posted 15 September 2009 - 08:33 AM

i know what to do but i have school so i study and write tutorials at almost the same time ... the only thing i am missing on is how to get info from other sources unlike WoWHead, WDB, Armory ...

#11 User is offline   Skovisen 

• Pip

Posted 07 May 2010 - 11:14 AM

I would say its a good start of the tutorial, and as it said at beginning, its for learners.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users