ArcEmu: Voting Page - ArcEmu

Toggle shoutbox Lastest Announcements

dfighter  : (07 December 2014 - 12:06 PM) Arcemu is in hibernation mode, please read http://arcemu.org/fo...showtopic=26903
dfighter  : (01 January 2013 - 05:56 PM) Arcemu wishes you all a happy new year!
Hasbro  : (12 September 2012 - 10:01 AM) Please excuse our outage from the web! Our web host had a major malfunction!
dfighter  : (01 September 2012 - 04:05 PM) Since the spam bots just don't want to stop, I've enabled admin verification when registering.
dfighter  : (23 January 2012 - 09:56 PM) Please note that from now on you will need to confirm your email on the wiki in order to edit it!
Hasbro  : (31 December 2011 - 12:50 PM) Happy New Years all!
Navid  : (26 December 2011 - 04:09 AM) Merry Christmas !!!!!! Happy holidays all :)
WAmadeus  : (24 December 2011 - 03:54 PM) Merry Christmas to all!
dfighter  : (24 December 2011 - 11:05 AM) The Arcemu team wishes y'all a Merry Christmukkah!
Hasbro  : (05 October 2011 - 12:53 PM) Looking for web designers for upcoming web related project. If you're interested in designing user interfaces contact me
dfighter  : (02 September 2011 - 03:47 PM) So who here wants vehicles in Arcemu? :P http://arcemu.org/fo...showtopic=25440
Hasbro  : (14 August 2011 - 03:25 PM) Join us on irc, grab an irc client and connect to irc.freenode.net join channel #arcemu /server irc.freenode.net:6667 /join #arcemu
jackpoz  : (03 August 2011 - 05:33 AM) to all Lua Engine (old one) users: please check http://arcemu.org/fo...showtopic=25274
Hasbro  : (20 May 2011 - 05:27 PM) Looking for people experienced with CMake configuration and setup! Contact me asap
Hasbro  : (15 May 2011 - 05:03 PM) ArcEmu is recruiting C++ programmers, contact Hasbro if interested.
paroxysm  : (03 May 2011 - 06:26 PM) Updated luabridge gossip example to describe the whole gossip creation process rather than just how to create menu. Gossip tutorial
paroxysm  : (23 April 2011 - 11:35 AM) Lua writers can refer to the Luabridge Tutorials section in the Wiki to learn how to write gossip code correctly.
Hasbro  : (20 April 2011 - 05:22 PM) Thank you for your continuous contribution of bug reports, we are working on them.
Hasbro  : (17 April 2011 - 03:20 AM) Please consider donating to support our bills. Donations can be sent using PayPal to donations@arcemu.org - Thank you for your support.
paroxysm  : (10 April 2011 - 12:43 AM) Refer to the Luabridge Tutorials section in the Wiki to learn the new syntax of luabridge.
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Voting Page How do i know when someone has voted?

#1 User is offline   Viracocha 

• Group: Members

Posted 30 July 2010 - 05:27 PM

Hi

I'm making a simple voting system integrated with the rest of my website but i'm having trouble working out how other websites which have voting systems know when a person has voted? The systems i've seen like AVS seem to work on trust, they change the page to the voting site and then give the voting point regardless of whether the person actually voted (did the captcha and clicked the button)

My initial assumption for the other sites is that they open the remote voting website as a child of their own monitoring page which checks if the child changes to the 'Thanks for voting' page and only then gives them the point. Is that possible, and if so could someone point me in the right direction for making one.

TIA :P

#2 User is offline   Navid 

• Persian Prance of ArcEmu
  • Group: Super Moderator
  • IRC:Lurker-
  • Interests:PHP,C++,ArcEmu and exactly our lovely community and specially money xD
  • Server OS:Windows

Posted 01 August 2010 - 05:07 AM

How do i know when someone has voted?

you have vote_point in your acc table,they will save there,you see ?
I'm here to check,lurk and kill you so behave or you will be lurked

Posted Image

#3 User is offline   Viracocha 

Posted 01 August 2010 - 06:52 AM

Storing and managing the points once they have them is the easy bit, i mean how do i know they actually completed the voting process properly and didn't just click the link to open the voting site and get the point, then just closed the site without completing it. If they did that they would get the point but my site wouldn't get the vote.

#4 User is offline   Bob Herman 

• Interested
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 August 2010 - 10:53 PM

That's the thing Viracocha, you can't verify it - no topsite has Instant Vote Notification (named after paypal's IPN ;) ).

I guess, the closest thing you could do to verify it is to check how long it the user took to vote (from the moment he submitted to the form, to the moment he went back on the site) and if it's over say 5 seconds, you count it as a vote.

#5 User is offline   Lost Legend 

• Pip

Posted 08 August 2010 - 08:00 AM

View PostBob Herman, on 07 August 2010 - 10:53 PM, said:

That's the thing Viracocha, you can't verify it - no topsite has Instant Vote Notification (named after paypal's IPN ;) ).

I guess, the closest thing you could do to verify it is to check how long it the user took to vote (from the moment he submitted to the form, to the moment he went back on the site) and if it's over say 5 seconds, you count it as a vote.

Bob Herman is right. Until the vote sites implement some sort of feedback to verify the captcha code to the source, there really isn't much else you can do. However, the 5 sec timer, that is brilliant idea Bob!
OS - Windows XP 32bit
Server - Patch 3.3.2 r3174
Database - NCDB 101 Rev. 3031
Scripts - r1181

#6 User is offline   Viracocha 

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:31 AM

I did have an idea involving opening the vote site as a child of a frame page with another hidden page involving some javascript which checked the voting site page every second to see if the url changes to the 'thank you for voting' page. Then trigger the loading of a php page which then adds the vote point. Perhaps carry a unique generated key through all the pages (via the hidden javascript page) to the php that adds the vote point to prevent then from just triggering the php page to load and gain a point.
As with all ideas it's still hackable, but it's so fiddly it'll be quicker to just vote ;)

The timer idea might work too, could implement that along side as another check although there are people who could touch type the captcha and load the 'thanks' page in less then 2 seconds so it's not ideal in the above idea.

#7 User is offline   Bob Herman 

• Interested
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 August 2010 - 10:13 AM

Mhm, true, but then they have to go back and reload the page. You'd have to play around with it and see how it works.

#8 User is offline   Viracocha 

Posted 08 August 2010 - 01:38 PM

After lots of fiddling and research it turns out you can't access any info of a frame showing an external site from another frame. So my whole idea is binned :(

5 Second timer it is.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users