ArcEmu: Crash Dumps In Release Mode - ArcEmu

Toggle shoutbox Lastest Announcements

dfighter  : (07 December 2014 - 12:06 PM) Arcemu is in hibernation mode, please read http://arcemu.org/fo...showtopic=26903
dfighter  : (01 January 2013 - 05:56 PM) Arcemu wishes you all a happy new year!
Hasbro  : (12 September 2012 - 10:01 AM) Please excuse our outage from the web! Our web host had a major malfunction!
dfighter  : (01 September 2012 - 04:05 PM) Since the spam bots just don't want to stop, I've enabled admin verification when registering.
dfighter  : (23 January 2012 - 09:56 PM) Please note that from now on you will need to confirm your email on the wiki in order to edit it!
Hasbro  : (31 December 2011 - 12:50 PM) Happy New Years all!
Navid  : (26 December 2011 - 04:09 AM) Merry Christmas !!!!!! Happy holidays all :)
WAmadeus  : (24 December 2011 - 03:54 PM) Merry Christmas to all!
dfighter  : (24 December 2011 - 11:05 AM) The Arcemu team wishes y'all a Merry Christmukkah!
Hasbro  : (05 October 2011 - 12:53 PM) Looking for web designers for upcoming web related project. If you're interested in designing user interfaces contact me
dfighter  : (02 September 2011 - 03:47 PM) So who here wants vehicles in Arcemu? :P http://arcemu.org/fo...showtopic=25440
Hasbro  : (14 August 2011 - 03:25 PM) Join us on irc, grab an irc client and connect to irc.freenode.net join channel #arcemu /server irc.freenode.net:6667 /join #arcemu
jackpoz  : (03 August 2011 - 05:33 AM) to all Lua Engine (old one) users: please check http://arcemu.org/fo...showtopic=25274
Hasbro  : (20 May 2011 - 05:27 PM) Looking for people experienced with CMake configuration and setup! Contact me asap
Hasbro  : (15 May 2011 - 05:03 PM) ArcEmu is recruiting C++ programmers, contact Hasbro if interested.
paroxysm  : (03 May 2011 - 06:26 PM) Updated luabridge gossip example to describe the whole gossip creation process rather than just how to create menu. Gossip tutorial
paroxysm  : (23 April 2011 - 11:35 AM) Lua writers can refer to the Luabridge Tutorials section in the Wiki to learn how to write gossip code correctly.
Hasbro  : (20 April 2011 - 05:22 PM) Thank you for your continuous contribution of bug reports, we are working on them.
Hasbro  : (17 April 2011 - 03:20 AM) Please consider donating to support our bills. Donations can be sent using PayPal to donations@arcemu.org - Thank you for your support.
paroxysm  : (10 April 2011 - 12:43 AM) Refer to the Luabridge Tutorials section in the Wiki to learn the new syntax of luabridge.
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Crash Dumps In Release Mode

#1 User is offline   salamanda 

• Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 August 2011 - 06:22 PM

Is there a major difference between the crash dumps in release and debug mode now that you have reverted the commit that disabled crash dumps in release?

The reason I ask this, is because I would like to support ArcEmu by submitting any crashes that occur, but when the server is built in debug, a crash can cause a message box to open asking whether to abort, retry or ignore. Whichever option you pick, it then logs the crash dump and shuts down (and starts back up with a auto-restarter). The issue with this is that the server hangs until a option is picked, which can cause long periods of downtime until I get on and respond to it.

If I am able to submit crash dumps in release mode then I can run the server normally without having to worry about possible downtime. ;) However, if a release mode crash dump is not very useful then I will keep using debug mode.

#2 User is offline   dfighter 

• Titles are overrated
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • IRC:dfighter
  • Server OS:Linux

Posted 27 August 2011 - 06:31 PM

There is. The best we can hope for in release mode is a callstack, since the values are optimized out. ( and it also often crashes too late, not where the problem is, as many things are not even checked )
In debug values are preserved and there are lots of checks so it crashes right where the problem is ( usually anyways ) so it's easier to track the issues down.
The reason why we re-enabled this is simply that we plan on having more official binary package releases and in a more orderly fashion, but we can't release debug builds, since you can only run that on a machine that has visual studio installed ( the debug libraries cannot be redistributed either technically or legally ), but we'd still like to be able to get at least some feedback about crashes, even if they are a lot harder ( if not impossible ) to sort out.
So if you can, just continue using debug mode ;)
Thanks!
"The demand for free goods is infinite."

#3 User is offline   jackpoz 

• ArcEmu Lemon Priest
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Developers
  • Server OS:Windows

Posted 27 August 2011 - 08:05 PM

View Postsalamanda, on 27 August 2011 - 06:22 PM, said:

but when the server is built in debug, a crash can cause a message box to open asking whether to abort, retry or ignore.

I think it's time for us to read more about http://msdn.microsof...ibrary/1y71x448 qnd properly use it to disable those pop ups. In that way you'll not have to worry anymore about downtimes ;)
Posted Image We develop dreams. Your dreams ;)
Posted ImagePosted Image

#4 User is offline   salamanda 

• Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 August 2011 - 05:10 AM

Okay, thank you both for the reply. ;)

#5 User is offline   jackpoz 

• ArcEmu Lemon Priest

Posted 28 August 2011 - 07:28 AM

View Postsalamanda, on 27 August 2011 - 06:22 PM, said:

but when the server is built in debug, a crash can cause a message box to open asking whether to abort, retry or ignore.

No messages will pop up anymore after r4501 https://sourceforge..../changeset/4501 ;)
Posted ImagePosted Image

#6 User is offline   salamanda 

• Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 August 2011 - 08:03 AM

Haha, brilliant. :D Thanks again.

edit:

Actually the new commit doesn't solve that problem. ;)

Now it says "world.exe has stopped responding" and it hangs till you click "close this program". =/

Also no crash dump is created now.

#7 User is offline   jackpoz 

• ArcEmu Lemon Priest

Posted 29 August 2011 - 04:27 AM

can you post the last lines of the logs, so we get an idea of why it crashed?
You should also disable WER (Windows Error Reporting).
Posted ImagePosted Image

#8 User is offline   salamanda 

• Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 August 2011 - 12:46 PM

Windows error reporting is already disabled.

Will post last few log lines, but I have to wait for it to crash again. :) Will update this post when it does.

When message box comes up saying it has stopped responding -> Log shows:

[10:38] [ArcEmu]  [ERR] C:\Users\Harry\Desktop\Kronos Update\src\arcemu-world\Object.cpp:1536 Object::_setFaction Unit does not have a valid faction. It will make him act stupid in world. Don't blame us, blame yourself for not checking :P, faction 0 set to entry 17280
[10:39] [ArcEmu] Sql query failed due to [Duplicate entry '484-2' for key 'PRIMARY'], Query: [INSERT INTO playerpets VALUES('484','2','Derp','17280','0','11','19','117440514 0,117440513 0,117440512 0,17256 49408,64491 49408,14916 49408,0 0,100663298 0,100663297 0,100663296 0,','4614','0','0','0','1','1','0','100','932','944160','0','1')]
[10:39] [ArcEmu]  [ERR] C:\Users\Harry\Desktop\Kronos Update\src\arcemu-world\Object.cpp:1536 Object::_setFaction Unit does not have a 

So it cancels out halfway through printing.

No crash dump is created since I applied that rev which removed the abort/retry/ignore message box. :P Though I'm guessing it's a Lua engine crash, since about 30 seconds before it frooze, all Lua scripts just stopped registering new functions.

#9 User is offline   jackpoz 

• ArcEmu Lemon Priest

Posted 29 August 2011 - 02:43 PM

try to apply
Index: src/arcemu-shared/CrashHandler.cpp
===================================================================
--- src/arcemu-shared/CrashHandler.cpp	(revision 4501)
+++ src/arcemu-shared/CrashHandler.cpp	(working copy)
@@ -88,10 +88,13 @@

if(!ON_CRASH_BREAK_DEBUGGER)
 	{
+		_CrtSetReportMode( _CRT_WARN, _CRTDBG_MODE_FILE );
+		_CrtSetReportFile( _CRT_WARN, _CRTDBG_FILE_STDERR );
 		_CrtSetReportMode( _CRT_ERROR, _CRTDBG_MODE_FILE );
 		_CrtSetReportFile( _CRT_ERROR, _CRTDBG_FILE_STDERR );
 		_CrtSetReportMode( _CRT_ASSERT, _CRTDBG_MODE_FILE );
 		_CrtSetReportFile( _CRT_ASSERT, _CRTDBG_FILE_STDERR );
+		SetErrorMode(SEM_FAILCRITICALERRORS | SEM_NOGPFAULTERRORBOX);
 	}
 }

also what's the behaviour of http://archive.msdn....DownloadId=9679 sample?

which Visual Studio version are you using?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#10 User is offline   salamanda 

• Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 August 2011 - 02:44 PM

I'm using Visual C++ Studio 2010 Express.

I'm a bit confused as to what you want me to do with the project you linked, I compiled it and ran it on the dedi and this was the result:

Posted Image

I have applied the patch and am awaiting for the server to crash again.

#11 User is offline   jackpoz 

• ArcEmu Lemon Priest

Posted 29 August 2011 - 03:15 PM

I linked that project to see if it would hang with the "has stopped responding" error message.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#12 User is offline   salamanda 

• Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 August 2011 - 03:23 PM

Well, it didn't. :P

#13 User is offline   jackpoz 

• ArcEmu Lemon Priest

Posted 29 August 2011 - 03:34 PM

Looks like the usual dfighter&jackpoz Ltd found another Lua issue:
right now all projects are built with /EHsc flag
Posted Image
but according to msdn http://msdn.microsof...y/1deeycx5.aspx

If used with s (/EHsc), catches C++ exceptions only and tells the compiler to assume that extern C functions never throw a C++ exception. /EHca is equivalent to /EHa.

Now, do we know any extern C function? OFC!!!
trunk\src\scripts\src\LuaEngine\LUAEngine.h
extern "C"
{
	// we're C++, and LUA is C, so the compiler needs to know to use C function names.
#include "../lualib/lua.h"
#include "../lualib/lauxlib.h"
#include "../lualib/lualib.h"
};

now, let's guess, will these throw any C++ exception? Silly me, it's just so obvious.
trunk\src\scripts\src\lualib\luaconf.h
#if defined(__cplusplus)
/* C++ exceptions */
#define LUAI_THROW(L,c)	throw(c)

so, we first tell the compiler that "that extern C functions never throw a C++ exception" and then throw them? this feels like trahison!

Stay tuned on our trac to see when we will set the right flag to cmake, then remove the patch I posted and try again.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#14 User is offline   salamanda 

• Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 August 2011 - 03:37 PM

Haha, Okay. Thanks. :P

#15 User is offline   jackpoz 

• ArcEmu Lemon Priest

Posted 30 August 2011 - 05:33 AM

try latest rev (r4504), cmake should recreate the project files automatically from VS (I had to stop the build and start it again after it recreated the projects) and then tell if you still get the "stopped responding" popup message.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users